Upper grille light replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Money sent thru PayPal.
Please send it to:
Randy Miller
4906 Powderhouse Rd.
Cheyenne, WY. 82009

Thank you!

elMechanic

Reaction score
While I've got my front grille off I figured it might be a good time to replace the grille lights. Mine are fairly yellowed and oxidized at this point. Late last year I replaced all 4 side marker lights with the Gen 2 OEM units as I liked the lightly smoked but still clear lenses a lot more than the dark smoked aftermarket ones. I also wanted to stay with yellow and red LED's rather than go to white. Has anyone here replaced their grille lights with an aftermarket kit or maybe checked if the Gen 2 lights will fit? So far I'm looking at the Morimoto kit as the lenses have that very lightly smoked look to them like the Gen 2 lights do and also they are plug and play.

https://www.americantrucks.com/morimoto-f150-xb-led-grille-lights-smoked-lf7939-1.html?utm_content=AT Lights - Grille Lights|Morimoto&T5_Var4=T548926&utm_campaign=ATF+F150+Vehicle+Medium&dialogtech=ppc&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&T5_Var2=shopping&T5_Var3=red&gclid=CjwKCAjwg4-EBhBwEiwAzYAlsmTsVOyPgYzF7nsUZXiLXKtZH5q-ITmWDU78Zgd_S4u2uJX70jSZZxoCgFwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have been planning to install the same Morimoto grill lights as well for couple of months now, but still didn’t order them yet.

and This video dropped 3 days ago showing how they look, I like it tbh.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I bought them I'd wanna replace the side markers so that they match as well. The stock lights have the 4 individual LED's whereas the Morimoto ones have 12, so they don't look segmented.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ended up keeping my stock ones, polishing them so they were clear again, and airbrushing them with some gloss clear mixed with a little bit of black to give them a light smoked look. My only real gripe with the Morimoto (and other) markers is that they use a lot more LED's than the stock lights, so they end up looking like a strip of light rather than the segmented LED's like the stock lights. Also, a lot of the grille and side marker styles don't match either. They are either completely clear or too dark. I figured since I am using the Gen 2 sidemarkers it would be best to just use the stock Gen 1 grille markers. I don't believe the Gen 2 grille markers fit the Gen 1.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got these off Amazon. $30 for a set of three. You have to cut off your original connector and solder it on the new light. Otherwise they fit a Gen 1 perfectly.

Attachments

• 20210611_185554_HDR.jpg
    20210611_185554_HDR.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got these off Amazon. $30 for a set of three. You have to cut off your original connector and solder it on the new light. Otherwise they fit a Gen 1 perfectly.

These I like because they have the segmented LED's like the stock lights do. All of the aftermarket ones I see have too many LED's in them so they look like just a strip of light rather than the individual LED's, or that the lenses are too clear or they're basically black. I swapped to the Gen 2 clearance lights because I like the light smoked look they have, so I did the same with the grille lights. I think the completely smoked ones look a little tacky, and the completely clear don't match the truck.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Grote is the manufacturer of the OEM marker lights, but it appears they dont offer clear lenses outside of the ford part number..

ive had a lot of moisture in all of the oem marker lights on my 2019, and they replaced the front two under warranty, but now im out of bumper to bumper and one of my rear ones is flickering...pretty ****** they were replaced last april and already both the fronts are wet inside... especially for $75-$100 a pop.. not really feeling the amber or red lenses either for $25 each...

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Grote is the manufacturer of the OEM marker lights, but it appears they dont offer clear lenses outside of the ford part number..

ive had a lot of moisture in all of the oem marker lights on my 2019, and they replaced the front two under warranty, but now im out of bumper to bumper and one of my rear ones is flickering...pretty ****** they were replaced last april and already both the fronts are wet inside... especially for $75-$100 a pop.. not really feeling the amber or red lenses either for $25 each...

So far so good on the Gen 2's I installed on my Gen 1.