Upliftter switch wire harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would like to see what people have done to clean up the upliftter wire harness in the engine bay. Connectors, panels....post up some pics.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I stole @DINOZR idea. I soldered 16ga wires to the hot wires. Six into one ground wire.

Soldered the pigtails and looped the 16ga back over the solder joint to alleviate any stress. Shrink wrap, tape and wire sheath. More ideas stolen from FRF.

Solid deutsch connectors are amazing. Water tight and solid connection.

CE90930B-74E6-45BC-94FD-70065C000DCA.jpeg FCB62F5B-AD75-49F0-AFE7-81DC8F0DF7B4.jpeg

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stole @DINOZR idea.

Looks good! Glad my work helped someone else! Did you buy Deutsch pre-assembled pigtails? I did. I looked into getting the tools to build the Deutsch connectors, but for the price of pigtails, I couldn't justify the room in my toolbox to store them.

I should have stress relieved my solder joint like you did. I didn't learn about solder joints and vibration and automotive applications until after I made my harness.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks good! Glad my work helped someone else! Did you buy Deutsch pre-assembled pigtails? I did. I looked into getting the tools to build the Deutsch connectors, but for the price of pigtails, I couldn't justify the room in my toolbox to store them.

I should have stress relieved my solder joint like you did. I didn't learn about solder joints and vibration and automotive applications until after I made my harness.

I made my own deutsch harness and connectors. The crimping tool was around $38 - not that bad and not too hard to re-sell. I got everything from DeutschConnectorStore. I was going to use crimp connectors but the wire sizes vary. So I decided to solder.

Thanks for posting your idea here and creating the conversation around great DIYs.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own deutsch harness and connectors. The crimping tool was around $38 - not that bad and not too hard to re-sell. I got everything from DeutschConnectorStore. I was going to use crimp connectors but the wire sizes vary. So I decided to solder.

Thanks for posting your idea here and creating the conversation around great DIYs.

Yeah, for that "6 into 1" ground wire, I don't know of a crimp connector that will accomplish that. Solder seems to be necessary. Also, I'm sure the issue of vibration and solder joints is not a 99% failure rate. Chances are our connections will be just fine. I know I had to goop *a lot* of solder on there to get into all 6 wires. I feel like I could hit the joint with a hammer and it wouldn't break.

OP
OP
Boost_it638

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw someone had made a panel not long ago. Connectors on both sides with what looked like fuses in the middle. Can't find it now, looked nice and neat. A lot of cool ideas out there.

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw someone had made a panel not long ago. Connectors on both sides with what looked like fuses in the middle. Can't find it now, looked nice and neat. A lot of cool ideas out there.

I saw that too. Looked nice! IMO, since the upfitter switches are already relayed and fused, that's a lot of extra work for no benefit, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, for that "6 into 1" ground wire, I don't know of a crimp connector that will accomplish that. Solder seems to be necessary. Also, I'm sure the issue of vibration and solder joints is not a 99% failure rate. Chances are our connections will be just fine. I know I had to goop *a lot* of solder on there to get into all 6 wires. I feel like I could hit the joint with a hammer and it wouldn't break.

I soldered six 16ga into one 14ga. I created a large hook on the end of the 14ga. Stripped about 1/2" of insulation in the middle of three 16ga wires. Twist the wires together and a nice blob of solder.

If you create a tight and clean solder joint, bundle the wires together and fasten everything securely(tape, shrinkwrap, ties etc) there will be no problem.

This is the first time using deutsch connectors and they are very trick. I won't use anything else now.