Upgrading stock OEM trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding stupid, why would there be any pressure drop?

Its a sealed hydraulic system. Psi in should equal psi out. At least thats what im thinking.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It probably runs hot because of that huge intercooler in the way of the airflow... :drool:

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

At the risk of sounding stupid, why would there be any pressure drop?

Everything in a fluid system adds some restriction (resistance to flow). If the restriction added by the additional cooler was too high, it would be harder for the pump to push the fluid through it leading to an overall reduction in flow and a pressure drop across the cooler. My guess is the pressure drop across the factory cooler is negligible and therefore two of them in series is also still negligible.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fluid is split at the pump some going into the trans valvebody and some going to the converter. The fluid that goes to the converter then moves on to the cooler. From the cooler it just dumps back into the pan. If the fluid did go to something mechanical it would be a bigger restriction than the cooler, negating the effect of the cooler on fluid pressure. Since the fluid just goes to the pan there may be a pressure drop providing there is no restriction further down the hose. But it just goes to the pan so it doesnt really matter either way lol

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure Drop ?

I am no engineer, but I would think if we did hava a restriction, everything between the pump and restriction should have a pressure spike, no? And a pressure drop after the restriction, no? Tim

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running them in parallel would lessen any pressure spike. But I think this is way way less critical than we are making it.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the larger cooler will add much restriction to the system. If you look at how the coolers are designed, all the rows are just many parallel circuits. If anything, I think a larger cooler in the stock style could reduce restriction.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the larger cooler will add much restriction to the system. If you look at how the coolers are designed, all the rows are just many parallel circuits. If anything, I think a larger cooler in the stock style could reduce restriction.

With that said, adding a 2nd OE size cooler in series like I suggested before may not be a good idea. It would probably be better to tee it into the system and run it in parallel with the OE cooler.

Flying_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on this topic?? I was seeing 240-245 degrees on my tranny at TRR and kept having to pull over and cool off all weekend. I gotta do something about it.

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cooler

Any updates on this topic?? I was seeing 240-245 degrees on my tranny at TRR and kept having to pull over and cool off all weekend. I gotta do something about it.

I think i am going to try the deep afe pan. I am shooting to order it next week . i am planning on going to glamis for an event may 3rd and that is the best place i have found to test how hot the trans gets. If i get time to get it all done i post up. I think adding 7 extra quarts would have to make a difference. I am going to searching the net for the best price on the afe, the other one that adds 3 quarts got a bad review on amazon froma raptor guy , so i think i will stay away from that one. Tim