Upgrading stock OEM trans cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did confirm that there are two model radiators for F-150 and all 6.2L Raptors have the larger model.

STANDARD RADIATOR:
Frontal Area: 521 sq.in.
Height: 16.54"
Width: 31.5"
Thickness: 0.94"
Rows: 41
Fins/Inch: 15.2

"SUPER COOLING" RADIATOR:
Frontal Area: same
Height: same
Width: same
Thickness: 1.26"
Rows: 51
Fins/Inch: 16.5

Both radiators have the internal liquid-to-liquid transmission cooler (this is not the liquid-to-air auxiliary cooler that's in front of the radiator). There's no spec to the cooling capacity of the transmission circuit, but one would have to assume that the larger radiator also has a larger transmission fluid circuit.

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did confirm that there are two model radiators for F-150 and all 6.2L Raptors have the larger model.

STANDARD RADIATOR:
Frontal Area: 521 sq.in.
Height: 16.54"
Width: 31.5"
Thickness: 0.94"
Rows: 41
Fins/Inch: 15.2

"SUPER COOLING" RADIATOR:
Frontal Area: same
Height: same
Width: same
Thickness: 1.26"
Rows: 51
Fins/Inch: 16.5

Both radiators have the internal liquid-to-liquid transmission cooler (this is not the liquid-to-air auxiliary cooler that's in front of the radiator). There's no spec to the cooling capacity of the transmission circuit, but one would have to assume that the larger radiator also has a larger transmission fluid circuit.

The pictures you show in your other post, the raptor has the smaller trans cooler as does my f150 ecoboost. The larger trans cooler would be a great addition. I also think the larger pan would help.

I had to tow a sandrail out in the dunes back down sand highway between Gordons well and Glamis and the trans got to 240 to 246 very quickly on both trucks. They would cool very quickly also, once i stopped and put the trans in neutral it only take 5 minutes and they would be back to low 200 to 210

Both trucks transmissions heat up very quickly while under a load in the sand. I have not had enough time to check the temps while towing, but in the sand they skyrocket quickly. That larger trans cooler would be a clean fit and an easy install .

Can somebody find the part number for that? Tim

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm still working on it. This is more difficult than it should be.

I've somewhat concluded (80% certainty) that zero 2013-2014 trucks came with the larger cooler and now believe they only came on properly equipped 2009-2010 trucks with the 7-lug HD package.

For what it's worth, the 4-row cooler that we have is Ford part number 9L3Z-7A095-A and it's made by a supplier by the name of Dorman. The Dorman part number is 918-204. Maybe someone will have better luck searching for the Dorman part number for the larger cooler rather than the Ford part number.

It wouldn't be as clean as installing a single 9-row cooler, but you could probably add an additional 4-row cooler in series to the OEM bracket that the stock 4-row cooler is attached to.

Amazon.com: Dorman 918-204 Transmission Oil Cooler: Automotive

Tmesic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what i have been able to find so far, the dorman 918-234 is what we have but the spec says 6 row cooler. the doorman 918-205 is exactly the same width and depth just 14 rows instaed of our 6. The issue is the inlet and outlet are different. I think i may order one and see if a radiator shopcan modify the inlet and outlet . Tim

Dorman HD Solutions - 918-205

Dorman HD Solutions - 918-234

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think we have the 4-row Dorman 918-204. The 918-234 appears to be the same, but a 6-row version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman does not make the Ford unit, they are an aftermarket supplier that sells replacement products. I actually bought one of their OEM replacement units and installed it in series with the factory cooler which did help a little. It was not exactly like the Ford unit, but close.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dorman does not make the Ford unit, they are an aftermarket supplier that sells replacement products. I actually bought one of their OEM replacement units and installed it in series with the factory cooler which did help a little. It was not exactly like the Ford unit, but close.

Would you mind posting some pics of your setup? I'd love to see it.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you mind posting some pics of your setup? I'd love to see it.

Here is what I did for last summer. Moved the stock cooler down and installed the Dorman above it. Was a little worried about pressure drop but figured with 1/2 inch lines it would not be to bad. I was hitting 230 in the sand dunes pretty easy. This helped some, but going to install a single larger with a fan soon.
yohT0xkSsOKLTTkoR2v1ghhx2r2DzmrtH90=w345-h259-p-no.jpg
8Irgn6LrVXAFF8DAYVBeOb2nfSvu35ZiY2I=w194-h259-p-no.jpg