Upgrading stock OEM trans cooler

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by rbarn, Aug 27, 2012.

1. rbarn

rbarn Full Access Member

If you look at the transmission cooler mounted in front of the radiator it is attached to a plastic bracket that is obviously designed to allow a cooler twice as big as the one that is installed.

All it would require to mount a cooler 2x bigger than stock would be to trim the outlet hose on the right side of the cooler as you are looking at it.

Has anyone done this ? It will require just the right oil cooler core to fit and I have had no luck sourcing one on the net or finding anyone who has done it.

2. MrGreen33

MrGreen33 FRF Addict

[​IMG]

Best bet would be to contact;

RPG
    Outlaw Raptor
    SDHQ
    ADD

3. BlueSVT

BlueSVT FRF Addict

A few guys have made their own solutions, or a few companies also sell them. I believe Outlaw and SDHQ currently are the only ones making raptor-specific ones. That being said, it can be any trans cooler, assuming you use the proper sized lines.

4. rbarn

rbarn Full Access Member

I've seen the nice aftermarket remote mount units, but I'm trying to figure out an easy and cheap way to upgrade our stock system.

I'll give the guys at SDHQ a call and see if they know of a cooler that will fit.

I'll take a picture of the plastic bracket tomorrow to show what I am talking about too.

Not everyone needs a $1,000 remote cooler kit, but any additional cooling we can add to the stock system easily like this bigger stock cooler and a deeper finned aluminum transmission pan will be appreciated by the transmission.

I have a blower going on soon and I'm trying to beef up some of the stock systems.

Survivor0331, GoMuscles and Ruger like this.
  5. sultan

sultan Member

I am getting the new cooler soon I acn give you the feedback in 2 weeks

6. BigScott

BigScott Banned

I was co driver on a truck that had the Outlaw Raptor trans cooler this weekend and comparing temps from our last run it was VERY effective at keeping tranney temps below 210 degrees in the hot California/Nevada desert

pat247 likes this.
  7. SPRSNK

SPRSNK I Void Warranties Supporting Member

It also got beaten on like a red headed step child all weekend long. Survived a roll over and still worked! Engine never got any more warmer than normal. I tried to overheat the tranny while in the sand. It wouldn't break 206F.

tbone likes this.
  8. NickPic83

NickPic83 FRF Addict

That's pretty damn good!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

9. rbarn

rbarn Full Access Member

Here is what I am talking about with the stock cooler.

The plastic bracket holding it in place is designed to take a cooler twice as big. I would think this would improve the stock trans. cooling system without having to drop over a grand on a remote mount cooler, for us guys that dont go out on 8hr desert run sessions, but still want some added cooling.

[​IMG]

Any ideas on sourcing the cooler core ?

Flying_Raptor and KaiserM715 like this.
  10. Ruger

Ruger FRF Addict

rbarn, please post what you learn!