upgrading shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tofuwreck

Reaction score
hey guys & gals

looking to upgrade my shocks/suspension on my gen1, currently at stock.
not sure what to go with, nor not looking to really break the bank either.
im debating on just trying out some geiser springs first, but would really like to upgrade to 3.0s.
i would say i spend 50/50 time on road vs offroad, lots of people praise icons but im willing to switch to anything affordable and of course that provides performance.
ive heard kings can be really stiff or just built for mainly offroad

would like some opinions, please!

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your spending that much time off road 3.0's make sense. Fox 3.0 seem to be good for ride quality. It's debated a lot, there are plenty of arguments for any of the big 3 brands across the forum.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check out the for sale section, there have been some used shocks on there that might interest you, if you are on a budget.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have King 3.0 coilovers, and Icon 3.0’s in an SVC bypass rack and love them. Keep in mind that all brands of shocks are comprised of the same components (yea I know the Fox has dsc), the only difference is in how they are setup and this can always be changed after the fact, or at time of purchase by a company like accutune.

Icon and King 3.0’s will make a massive difference over stock as all of Fox’s internal bypass shocks are actually smaller than they advertise due to the internal bypass taking up piston room. (The 2.5 on the raptor is actually a 2.0 and their 3.0 is around a 2.5). For this reason I didn’t get Fox “3.0’s”. I was going to get Icon coilovers because they have developed a bypass technology that doesn’t remove piston space but didn’t want the digressive valving (my icon bypasses have a linear piston with linear valving). I also really wanted finned reservoirs and for that reason I went with King

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3 coilovers also use different spring rates which are also a factor. However, i can tell you that the combination of 37’s (much more air in the tire) and the Kings makes the truck ride like a dream and can handle big bumps well. With the 35’s it rode a bit stiff

Chiefapple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have King 3.0 coilovers, and Icon 3.0’s in an SVC bypass rack and love them. Keep in mind that all brands of shocks are comprised of the same components (yea I know the Fox has dsc), the only difference is in how they are setup and this can always be changed after the fact, or at time of purchase by a company like accutune.

Icon and King 3.0’s will make a massive difference over stock as all of Fox’s internal bypass shocks are actually smaller than they advertise due to the internal bypass taking up piston room. (The 2.5 on the raptor is actually a 2.0 and their 3.0 is around a 2.5). For this reason I didn’t get Fox “3.0’s”. I was going to get Icon coilovers because they have developed a bypass technology that doesn’t remove piston space but didn’t want the digressive valving (my icon bypasses have a linear piston with linear valving). I also really wanted finned reservoirs and for that reason I went with King
[mention]Choppperguy [/mention] check this out on why to go aftermarket 3.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk