Upgrading MyFordTouch Sony System 2012

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axshun

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2012 Raptor with the Sony System. I have been using Android Auto in my old truck. (Upgraded Sound system). My google foo isn't working well so i thought I'd ask. Has anyone upgraded their raptor with anything that is capable for that and keeping things such as compass and temperature and AC controls and such ? Just curious since just about everything you read advises against this.

jgwoody

Reaction score
I have a 2013 and upgraded mine to a Sync 3 system (pulled from a newer lincoln) with apple carplay. Retains nav, ac controls, compass, etc. From what I see online, it will recognize android auto too, but I can't personally verify. There's a whole thread on it, Sync 2 > Sync 3. AFAIK you can't upgrade head unit to aftermarket carplay / android auto head unit without losing all that control stuff / sony sound system integration.

NathanA

Reaction score
There's a whole thread on it, Sync 2 > Sync 3

The only problem here is that Axshun has Sync 1 on his truck. Sync 2 debuted in 2013 and is easily upgradeable to Sync 3 because they both operate on the same basic platform. Unfortunately, Sync 1 is much more difficult to upgrade from what I've read, and may even be impossible to upgrade to a newer Sync platform.

From what I can understand, us Sync 1 people need to look at aftermarket upgrades with a iDataLink Maestro.

OP
OP
A

Axshun

Reaction score
From everything I have researched The maestro will do most everything but you have to unplug your Climate control section and you will lose your seat warmers and coolers. This is truly a unicorn situation.