upgrading headunit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did all the usual stereo upgrade stuff ,front components ,amp ,subwoofer ,much better than factory b and o . can the headunit be upgraded ,how hard is it ? not looking for the big screen stuff . looking for a simple ,alpine or pioneer 8 inch upgrade

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only asking cause cruthfield has no headunits for factory 8 inch

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the only replacement that retains sync are the Phoenix HU's.

Hush Car Audio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't necessarily get better audio quality with a head unit swap just saying. You would get a lot of benefit if you bypassed the B&O system using something like the NavTV unit. If you haven't already done this then this should be the next step.

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes I installed a zen ,a 5 channel amp ,focal kx2 up front ,stock rears , jl audio sub ,with 2 10 inch subs . just would like a better looking headunit .

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes I installed a zen ,a 5 channel amp ,focal kx2 up front ,stock rears , jl audio sub ,with 2 10 inch subs . just would like a better looking headunit .

best to stay with the stock unit. since you did it correctly and used the zen....you have a pure digital source....so any upgrade you would be doing is purely in the looks or aesthetics. you won't notice much of a sonic increase in any new head unit.

they only new unit I am aware of is the android monster some guys are using....and there is no way I would put that pos in my car. android operating system is slow, and that os had to be hacked to make it work. not worth it at all.

use apple car play and be done.

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best to stay with the stock unit. since you did it correctly and used the zen....you have a pure digital source....so any upgrade you would be doing is purely in the looks or aesthetics. you won't notice much of a sonic increase in any new head unit.

they only new unit I am aware of is the android monster some guys are using....and there is no way I would put that pos in my car. android operating system is slow, and that os had to be hacked to make it work. not worth it at all.

use apple car play and be done.
yea I kinda had a feeling there is no good upgrade . def don't want that huge android screen ,or else I would have done it already

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Debated this also very recently. I was set on ordering a tablet. Car Audio shop told me not to do that because they don't last, have issues, don't always tie everything in. I thought if I have spend 800 on the B&O adaptor I might as well just replace. In the end I decided I did not want the headache tons of others posted videos about. As far as little screens just to replace you may run into the same issues but if staying the same size why even bother? Now I just gotta figure out where to mount this huge *** amp.