Upgrading 2010 stereo w/ backup cam, question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my new receiver installed and for the most part it went well. Steering wheel controls and climate buttons all work. One issue i had was the sub woofer connection. There were some rca cables on the idata link wire harness but the other end wouldn’t connect to anything on the factory harness. There was one plug that was close and had the same number of pins but male plug was too big. I did cut the aftermarket plug to get it to physically connect but still no sub woofer sound. I’m going to be replacing the sub and factory amp as well as adding a sound processor so i can go a few weeks with no bass. I did realize i didn’t have the OBD plugged in and i heard if you don’t plug that in you could have issues with speakers not working. Not sure what that has to do with anything but that’s what crutchfield said when i asked if that was necessary. It’s kind of cool to see some vehicle info on the screen but I’ll never use it. I really like having car play though and I’m sure once i play with it I’ll find more goodies. But for now it plays music and has navigation so I’m happy. It also looks nice and clean

View attachment 212906
View attachment 212907View attachment 212908
Nice looking unit.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can't you just change the bezel and mount an aftermarket nav unit?

Where's the stereo vendors , I know nothing.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you just change the bezel and mount an aftermarket nav unit?

Where's the stereo vendors , I know nothing.
i don't think you can use just any nav unit. You have to use the brackets from the OEM screen so there's only select few units that will work. I'm sure you could fab something to make any nav unit fit but you might be limited on depth since the new unit goes where the screen used to sit. I think some units are too deep and will interfere with dash structure behind them.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i don't think you can use just any nav unit. You have to use the brackets from the OEM screen so there's only select few units that will work. I'm sure you could fab something to make any nav unit fit but you might be limited on depth since the new unit goes where the screen used to sit. I think some units are too deep and will interfere with dash structure behind them.
Yeah, could be, I don't have a clue, figured with the brackets in that kit I mentioned you could relocate the factory controls lower to where the factory nav unit controls are, I have the factory nav, figured Ford just had one dash frame with interchangeable bezels, etc. Why aren't the stereo guys responding, are they all alseep.
1624633181717.png

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found another issue the other day. I didn't drive anywhere for a few days after getting the OBD plugged into the deck so i could see the gauges but as soon as i put it in drive i got a wrench on the instrument cluster and seemed to go into limp mode. I've never had it go into limp but it had no acceleration so i figured it was that. after i got to where i was going i shut off the truck and unplugged the OBD chord, started it up, no wrench and has been running fine since. Not sure why the stereo OBD plug would do that but i have no use for it so i'm not going to use that feature anyway. Amps and subwoofer will be here this week so i'll have a write up on the full system once i get everything built and installed.

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks killer.
I'd still like to see what people with non-nav trucks have done.
I have a 2011 with no Factory Navigation and no backup camera. I found a web-site a few days ago selling reconditioned OEM Navigation head units for $1,699 and a backup camera to go with it for another $299. It's supposed to be plug-and-play and no dealership visit is required to make them work together, plus has a one-year warranty. Has anyone tried doing this type of swap, and if so, were you happy with the end results? TIA