Upgrades to support Whipple?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, this winter I am looking into installing a Whipple. I'm curious what supporting modifications would be recommended/required for this. It seems like some people have had some bad luck with things, but some people have had great luck with them. It seems like some of the failures I've seen were rather random as well. I don't really tow with the truck at all either. Would maybe a different supercharger or turbo setup be more recommended to go with? Thanks!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Billet Oil Pump gears!!!
Traction Bars!!!
Always use Hi Test, change the oil more often.
And of course, don't beat the shit out of it.
Don't use HP Tuner to boost power level beyond the capability of the stock engine, that is why some blew their stuff up.
HP Tuner software corrupts the back end of the Tune on Gen 1s that Ford encrypted, and you wind up with a lot of safety stuff not working to keep the engine safe.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Billet Oil Pump gears!!!
Traction Bars!!!
Always use Hi Test, change the oil more often.
And of course, don't beat the shit out of it.
Don't use HP Tuner to boost power level beyond the capability of the stock engine, that is why some blew their stuff up.
HP Tuner software corrupts the back end of the Tune that Ford encrypted and you wind with up a lot of safety stuff not working to keep the engine safe.

Just my 2 cents

I had heard the oil pump gears were the big one. I always run premium (91+), especially on stuff I have tuned. I'm all about having a proper tune as well, so I would get it custom tuned to make sure it's safe. Oil get changed every 5000 with Mobil 1 full synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. I'm pretty easy on things too. As far as the traction bars are they necessary? Would hate to lose the ground clearance.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Cody Templeton

Absolutely necessary, wheel hop of any kind is not a good thing for the engine, tranny and rear end.
And no, you do not lose ground clearance with the right Traction Bars.
I highly recommend RPG for the traction bars you will not even lose articulation.
Made with billet aluminum, so no rusting like the Rogue Racing one, like I have.

Here's is my setup

DSC02387.JPG

DSC02390.JPG

Last edited:

TiFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the billet oil pump gears. I think the traction bar issue can be mitigated with a sympathetic right foot but... that's not as much fun. The shop that I had mine installed at said they've seen no issues with the Whipples they've installed. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I second the billet oil pump gears. I think the traction bar issue can be mitigated with a sympathetic right foot but... that's not as much fun. The shop that I had mine installed at said they've seen no issues with the Whipples they've installed. Good luck!

Glad to hear! Yea, the oil pump gears are the one that I keep hearing about for sure. The traction bars I may just do as part of my suspension upgrade. :)

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you’re going to do or pay for labor to upgrade the oil pump gears, you might as well replace all the timing components (chains, guides, tensioners, and crank sprocket) as well while the front cover is off depending on how many miles you have. I did since I had my supercharger installed at around 100k miles.

If you’re going Whipple, I’d also go ahead and replace your alternator if it isn’t cost prohibitive since the Whipple has to come off to replace the alternator. You want to maximize the amount of stuff that can be done conveniently while everything is apart.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also had my valve springs replaced with a PAC Racing spring and shim kit from @Cody Dawson. Nothing supercharger specific, but didn’t want to risk a broken spring and/or dropped valve which has happened on some stock motors.

I did headers and high flow GESI UHO cats as well, but that’s not required.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
New fuel pump is not needed. There really aren’t many drop-in options regardless. Livernois has an upgraded pump option available, but I haven’t seen any solid A/B comparisons to indicate whether it’s objectively better than a fully functioning OEM unit. DeatschWerks makes a drop-in pump, but it doesn’t flow anymore than the factory pump.

All of the popular supercharger packages from Roush, Whipple, and JDM are all designed around a stock fuel systems with only upgraded injectors. Usually 48, 60, or 78 lb/hr.

At this point, I’d only replace the fuel pump if you’re already having issues with your current pump or if your tuner says it’s required for whatever “stage” or “package” you’re going with and your expected power goals.