Upgrades to support Whipple?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

akley88

Reaction score
wasnt sure since mine will be going on a 250 that is flex fuel. was also looking at the AFCO upgrade heat exchanger due to towing a 10k camper 6-10 times a year

Last edited:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I’ve seen posted by JDM who sells and tunes for Whipple kits, the AFCO isn’t any better than the Whipple HD heat exchanger with fans other than being cheaper if you didn’t order the HD heat exchanger and fans at the same time as a the supercharger. JDM also sells the AFCO heat exchangers as well.

If you have further cooling needs, the next step would be to go to an aftermarket radiator such as CBR and/or discuss with your tuner about changing the programmed set points for the radiator fans in connection with a slightly lower temp coolant thermostat such as a 170 or a 180 vs. the stock 195. Granted, a lot will depend on what climates you drive in. Lower temp thermostats can also make it challenging to warm up the engine in the winter or to get heat in the cab.

Reaction score
Im also heavily considering a stage 2 whipple package for my 2013 raptor. Ive seen people have some issues with throttle bodies a few years back. Has that been solved? What combinations of throttle bodies and injectors had issues?

JDM has a few options for TB/injectors and im not quite sure which to go with.

TB options are "stock 60mm TB" or "65mm FRPP TB"

injectors are 47lb or 78lb

Any combinations they offer work best?

Mineratron

Reaction score
@Cody Templeton

Absolutely necessary, wheel hop of any kind is not a good thing for the engine, tranny and rear end.
And no, you do not lose ground clearance with the right Traction Bars.
I highly recommend RPG for the traction bars you will not even lose articulation.
Made with billet aluminum, so no rusting like the Rogue Racing one, like I have.

Here's is my setup

View attachment 368866

View attachment 368867
Are those aftermarket trailing arm kits to stabilise the rear axle?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BigBlackRaptor Any of the injector or throttle body combos are fine from JDM. Most of if depends on whether you plan to do any other mods and how much you want to spend.

Personally, I’d just go with the smaller injectors and the GT500 throttle body if you aren’t going to do any other upgrades. Otherwise, I’d look at upgrading the oil pump and/or pump gears at minimum if you’re going to go with the bigger injectors and the FRPP dual 65 throttle body.

The surging and stalling issues related to throttle bodies had to do with early Whipple tunes for their dual 68 throttle body, but I believe later tunes have resolved those issues. Granted, not something that applies to you if you’re going with JDM since they only use Ford throttle bodies…either the GT500 one that comes with the Whipple kit or the optional dual 65.

Reaction score
@BigBlackRaptor Any of the injector or throttle body combos are fine from JDM. Most of if depends on whether you plan to do any other mods and how much you want to spend.

Personally, I’d just go with the smaller injectors and the GT500 throttle body if you aren’t going to do any other upgrades. Otherwise, I’d look at upgrading the oil pump and/or pump gears at minimum if you’re going to go with the bigger injectors and the FRPP dual 65 throttle body.

The surging and stalling issues related to throttle bodies had to do with early Whipple tunes for their dual 68 throttle body, but I believe later tunes have resolved those issues. Granted, not something that applies to you if you’re going with JDM since they only use Ford throttle bodies…either the GT500 one that comes with the Whipple kit or the optional dual 65.
Lets say I dont take it any further than the stage 2 whipple package. Is there any difference in driveability/reliability/ power between using the smaller injectors and TB or going with the larger sets?
I was going to do oil pump gears regardless along with all belts, timing chain etc.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@BigBlackRaptor There is a difference in power, but no difference in driveability as the JDM tune is good regardless. Keep in mind that Whipple Stage 2 and the JDM 700 kit with or without upgrades are similar, but not the same. The Stage 2 tuned by Whipple uses their own brand dual 68mm throttle body and I think either 48 or 60lb/hr injectors and is meant for an otherwise stock truck. They supposedly have a tune compatible with headers, but generally won’t tune for or help troubleshoot any additional non-stock components other than what’s provided in the kit.

The JDM 700 kit uses either the Ford GT500 or the FRPP Cobrajet Dual 65mm throttle body and up to 78lb/hr injectors and will be tuned for whatever aftermarket mods you have.

If you have the funds, I’d just get all the upgrades if getting the JDM kit so you just do the install labor for injectors etc. once and don’t end up wondering “what if”. You can email or call and talk to Jim at JDM if you have any questions. He’s super informative and responsive regarding explaining any pros or cons of the options.

The main benefit of the larger injectors is the ability to maintain fueling for the more efficient Gen 4 Whipple since it provides more boost for a given pulley size relative to prior generations especially if you’re running a 3.25 pulley or smaller.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are those aftermarket trailing arm kits to stabilise the rear axle?
They are for wheel hop (aka. axle wrap), you're going to need them when Supercharging, otherwise you could never take off from the light without breaking stuff.
To stabilize the rear, a rear spring upgrade is needed.
Deavers or Icon will do.

As for injectors, I would not use the 47 lbs.
I ran them for about a half a year until Whipple came out with new tunes to get away from using the 47 lbs.
They are a spilt stream injector and doesn't do a great job of cooling down the combustion chamber.
And go for the Twin 65mm throttle body.

Last edited: