Upgrades to improve towing capabilities?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the tires on my 22 Raptor are class C load rating or around 2300#/tire, they make the identical tire in a class E load rating or around 3100#\tire. Six ply vs ten ply old school or light truck vs heavy truck. I know there is probably a trade off with ride comfort but extra payload safety could be improved maybe. Just asking, cause I don’t know answer but I do think tires are one of raptors main limits to towing. Look at a tire selector for K02 and you will see both tires.
Pretty much everyone here knows about the C and E load KO2's
A standard F150 properly equipped that is rated for almost 14k lbs towing does not come with load range E tires.

Yes stiffer tires would help to a degree, but the main limitation is the soft off road suspension.

the factory KO2s meet the requirements for what the raptor is rated to do. My contention is that people ask more from the raptor (as far as towing) than it was ment to do.

Here is the SAE towing test. Ask yourself where would the Raptor fail compared to a standard F150.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well the tires on my 22 Raptor are class C load rating or around 2300#/tire, they make the identical tire in a class E load rating or around 3100#\tire. Six ply vs ten ply old school or light truck vs heavy truck. I know there is probably a trade off with ride comfort but extra payload safety could be improved maybe. Just asking, cause I don’t know answer but I do think tires are one of raptors main limits to towing. Look at a tire selector for K02 and you will see both tires.

I have E rated tires on mine. Don't really notice much difference in terms of towing or ride comfort for daily driving. Maybe marginally stiffer. I do notice a difference when i'm on washboard dirt roads though. With the C's I could take those without too much discomfort without airing down. With the E's I have to air down or the truck is swinging it's ass all over the place unless I have a significant amount of weight back there.

Another area they're different is durability. My C's were crap. Replaced due to cupping with plenty of tread life left. My E's are currently at the same mileage I had on the C's when I got rid of them and they still ride nice and quiet.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if no one said it already, im sure there will be some progressive rate springs from geiser or eibach that will help.. doesn't look too bad in the pic, but if you can get some weight off the tongue it might be better..

never been a fan of the add on airbags gimmicks.. a slightly stiffer progressive coil spring is what you want.. nice and soft at ride height and progressively stiffer as its compressed.. also better off road and jumping