Upgraded Rear Axle Shafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Augster

Reaction score
Are there any aftermarket rear axle shafts (35-spline) that are an upgrade over OEM? I've read in this thread that Moser axle shafts are "30% stronger" than OEM; not sure how valid that claim is. Otherwise, are Yukon, Nitro, Dorman and the like "just as good" as Ford OEM in terms of strength?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haven’t heard of anyone breaking 35 spline OEM axle shafts…is that your concern? Dorman is Chinese junk, don’t even consider them.

OP
OP
A

Augster

Reaction score
I've read about minor incidences of Raptor axles breaking on the street via some fluke mishap (jumping a curb for one, IIRC); but haven't come across any trail-related incidences, though I haven't really tried researching this further. Currie offers a complete bolt-in axle swap to a 9-inch with full floaters too, so that made me wonder about doing anything I can to preempt any breakage on the trails short of that uber expensive upgrade.

Regarding Chinese junk, lots of Ford and Raptor owners report using Dorman/similar axles from local auto parts stores due to lifetime warranties: if it breaks, replace with new one. I haven't broken a front axle but I think I could manage to get back on the road if I did, and would replace it with the strongest front axle available. But can't really get back on the road with a busted rear axle, especially if far out in the boonies. Hence my inquiry.