Upgraded from cheap amazon led to s8 behind the grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Not long after gettin the Rap I stuffed a pair of 17” amazon LED bars behind the grill.

LED light bar behind the grill with pics

for some reason, some of my pics are wrongly linked. The passenger side LED bar started taking in water from rain, it still worked, but looked like crap. I had decided to upgrade late last year but since the grill had to come apart to tighten the bar up, I figured it was wasted effort to pull all that stuff apart more than once. You can see, I got less than 2 years out of the cheap LEDs before one of them started leaking.

I hit up Adam from 4x4truckleds.com, to help a Raptor brutha out with a BD S8 behind the grill kit. I checked out what some others did

Baja Designs S8 30" Grill Light bar kit install

Did this project in conjunction with adding some direct drive air horns.
This time, I put a timer on me and from start to having the grill out was 26 minutes. The first time was awful - video, work, check the video again, did I do that right?

The kit goes in easily; the mounts are fairly obvious with the instructions, routing the wires in the grill sections is not.

If you do this and you put the wiring harness you disconnect right at the beginning behind the s8, make sure you are not obstructing the shutters. BD instructions don’t really touch on this.

I’ve seen some questions about aiming the led bar. it’s not hard.

IMG_3793.jpg

IMG_3794.jpg

As you can see above, you need a 1/4” drive socket, at least one extension, and 1 swivel. Take your time, if the clearance is too tight and the socket won’t seat, push back on the s8 with something that won’t mar the finish. loosen. Positioning is tricky because the bar is pressing against the grill front. make slow adjustments. At times I used a big flat blade screw driver to push on the bar fins. Once I had the initial aim done I snugged but did not fully tighten the bar. Tested out, made final adjustments and tightened down.

Easy Peasey. Maybe a 2 beer (pint) job. 3 if you’re drinking swill. There should be no more than 2 leftover parts after reassembly.

IMG_3797.png

air horn trumpets just behind the front plate.

DTC P0037 anyone? Yup. somehow I managed to cause a trouble code; p0037 AAT sensor fault 00:AF
that’s the ambient air temp sensor.

ok, I know it’s a 70 thousand dollar truck but... you have got to be kidding me! the thermometer sets a fault code if it reads a high temp ( and defaults to 50f on the display or about 10c and makes the fans go ape $hit on start up, and disables the auto stop start ). all because the temp sensor reads something goofy.

Forscan made short work of it and it hasn’t been returning. I’m guessing I pissed Lucille off and she was just venting.

here’s just the low beams.
IMG_3799.jpg

I dug up the old picture with the Amazon LED bars:
IMG_7950.jpg

even though there is a huge hot spot right in front of the truck, this is after aiming the bars several times. They threw a lot of light, but it spread out quickly.

Here’s the S8 in approximately the same place.
IMG_3800.jpg

in for a penny, in for a Euro - all 6 squadrons added for good measure:
IMG_3801.jpg

I didn’t want to use a street, but back here there’s practically no traffic.

The S8 throws light significantly farther downrange, even behind the grill. The cheap amazon bars were completely signed off by 200, maybe 225 meters. There was a lot of light, but it was incoherent.

The S8 is throwing a combination pattern - spot and wide and it’s throwing usable light easily 2 - 3 times as far. The amazon bars were rated at 7500 lumens / bar. The S8 is rated at something like 18,900 lumens.

If you’re undecided about spending the big money for a decent light bar, spend the extra money.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks good. Yeah BD's instructions are not the best (sorry BD, you know I luv ya but come on...). It's like "here are the parts you need, gluck"

This is why youtube videos are great :)

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
what did we do before youtube?

wait.... I don’t think we should answer this. ;-)

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Back in my day we went to the library, opened up the card catalog and hopefully found a book on the subject.

Or we figured it out ourselves :)

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I just used “think of this like the card catalog in a library” as an example to n00b on our team at work.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
more like what's a library.

Don't get me started. But does anyone doubt if cell phones only texted and then voice calls were invented, we'd all be talking to one another instead of typing? I'm as guilty as the next one.

But back OT. I am always an adherent of buy it once, spend the dough, don't go cheap, because it's always a matter of pay me now or pay me later. And you only wind up spending more and creating more work.

I just installed the lower grill BJ light bar flush mount and love it. I wonder if anyone has tested the light output of the lightbar in this thread before the grill was replaced to see how much of the light is blotted out by the grill. I wonder if it's possible to also flush mount it and cut out a portion of the grill as for the bottom one.

OP
OP
smurfslayer

smurfslayer

Reaction score
you know... I never thought to check before putting the grille over it; that would’ve been pretty difficult for me anyway. I’m sure there’s an impact but it’s difficult to appreciate for sure because even though I’m replacing 2x 7500 lumens --rated-- bars, the B/D light is just better in every aspect, not just brighter. the reflectors are better, the pattern is better, the throw is better. I knew it would be, but I was genuinely and pleasantly surprised at how much better the S8 is.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Not only that but if you ever need to replace the o-rings or lenses YOU CAN! That's what I love most about Baja Designs (outside of mostly american-sourced components and made in america portion of it)... I like to change my lenses all the time.