Upgrade to a 2013?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First off, I want to say that I absolutely love my silver 2011 Raptor and smile every time I look at it. That being said the truck is registered in GA so yearly to register it I pay nearly 600 dollars which is a total PITA.

GA just passed a new law getting rid of their Ad Valorem tax and replacing it with a 7% sales tax which is essentially what I would already pay in sales tax. Well just to tick me off GA says that the new law only applies to 2012 and newer vehicles so I would still pay on my current raptor that has under 20,000 miles and is in very good condition.

So here is my dilemma, I like the 2013 especially the Terrain color. I would be wanting a fully loaded Screw just like my 2011. I would like to think I could negotiate a pretty good trade for a new one. And also I wouldn't be paying yearly just to register it. I really like the 2013 and not paying a yearly registration fee isn't my grounds for upgrading more of just an additional bonus. I have seen a few guys on here go from a 2010-2011 to a 2013 and I am wondering if in the end it was worth it.

Wanted to get some feedback on your thoughts on this. The 2013's are pretty amazing but idk if it is worth the trade. What do you all think? Any ideas on what cash I would be putting up for a trade? Either way I have a perfectly good raptor that I absolutely love so it is a win no matter what.

Last edited:

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I want to say that I absolutely love my silver 2011 Raptor and smile every time I look at it. That being said the truck is registered in GA so yearly to register it I pay nearly 600 dollars which is a total PITA.

GA just passed a new law getting rid of their Ad Valorem tax and replacing it with a 7% sales tax which is essentially what I would already pay in sales tax. Well just to tick me off GA says that the new law only applies to 2012 and newer vehicles so I would still pay on my current raptor that has under 20,000 miles and is in very good condition.

So here is my dilemma, I like the 2013 especially the Terrain color. I would be wanting a fully loaded Screw just like my 2011. I would like to think I could negotiate a pretty good trade for a new one. And also I wouldn't be paying yearly just to register it.

Wanted to get some feedback on your thoughts on this. The 2013's are pretty amazing but idk if it is worth the trade. What do you all think? Any ideas on what cash I would be putting up for a trade? Either way I have a perfectly good raptor that I absolutely love so it is a win no matter what.

I think you answered your own question you love your Raptor so keep and spend the money on mods or save it for a later model...

I would keep your 2011...just my IMO

OP
OP
Sliver Raptor

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm moving to Norfolk in 2 months so I won't have an address in MD. Just saw a terrain on the road absolutely gorgeous. Damn that is the last thing I needed to see.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Register it in VA then...lol. We keep all our vehicles registered in PA because its flat fee.

OP
OP
Sliver Raptor

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Register it in VA then...lol. We keep all our vehicles registered in PA because its flat fee.

Yea well to register and flip the title to VA it would be paying 3% on the value of my truck and probably more hassle then just leaving it. Im fine paying the GA fees but I guess I am really looking for a reason to get a 2013 Terrain Screw... I think the registration is more of just an additional selling point honestly.

Was just trying to see if the bump from an 11 to a 13 is remotely worth it. I know I have seen a few people on here upgrade and just wanted to see if in the end they felt that the swap was 'worth it'

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You won't have to pay the 3% usage tax. When you get here you can go to the DMV and transfer your title to VA and then register it. I think I paid about $50-$60 for titling fees and plates. Then every year they will send you a property tax bill. All you have to do is take your LES to the DMV (prove that you are not a VA resident) and they zero the balance. Really simple and worth saving the money

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good idea to trade now for a 13 imho. I will be trading mine in Sept for a 14 (going back to oil burners) but will look at the Raptors again when the new body/design for the Raptor hits the market in 15. Will be time to get another one by then..

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you decide to upgrade, you might as well wait a few more months for the the 2014 Raptor. I think I'm going to trade my 2012 for a 2014.

sniperm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
newer alwayz better in my book... plus you will be paying 6.5% right now.. and it will go up.. by 2015 it will be 7%..

If your going to keep the truck 10 years.. then paying the tax up front will save u money.. If u think Ur going to sell the car in 3~5 years.. then paying tax when ur bday is every year makes more sense..

GET THE 13' !