GEN 2 UPgrade sync 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Willie DEE

Reaction score
So my 2018 sync 3 would not upgrade the software over wifi - tried to down load it onto a thumb drive - NEITHER ONE WORKED Spent a couple of hours with ford on the phone. They tried to help but it never worked.

Thumb drive blamed by them due to download with a mac computer (who knows) finally gave up an decided i would get the dealer to upgrade it when they addressed all the recalls.

Went to dealer JC Lewis in Savannah,GA for the recalls an ask them to upgrade the sync 3 while they had it. Which I scheduled 3 weeks ago. They said they had to keep it. Did get a lame a-- loaner at least.

No problem we will fix all your recalls and the software upgrade will be 150.00 because the truck is outside the 3 year warranty -- i told them to F--- it dont bother just do the recalls. They really really wanted to change the oil because they ask me 3 separate times BUT he did say they would not charge me to put air in one of my tires.

IS it normal for those p--ck- to charge for the software upgrade.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would they not charge you for the software upgrade? Nobody works for free. $150 seems a little steep, especially since it typically takes no more than 45 minutes.

I’ve never had any luck with Sync updating over WiFi on pre-2020 models. No issues with the USB drive, but it’s imperative that it’s formatted properly. It’s entirely possible that a Mac cannot format and load the files properly.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the USB drive needs to be formatted to FAT32 or something.

What is a usb fat?
FAT or FAT 32 file system is the option selected by default for formatting a USB flash drive on Windows XP. FAT or FAT32 is also the default file system most music players in cars recognise.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the Ford Hub over at Cyan Labs. They have an updater that will format your thumb drive and allow you to install the latest and greatest version, or roll back to a previous one:

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the update, you will need exFAT format of the thumb drive. It will not work on fat or fat32. I had a thumb drive as fat32 and the truck would not recognize the update. Once it was exFAT format, worked like a charm