Upgrade 2017 to 2019 Fox Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krodUT

Reaction score
This has to be posted but I can find a sticky unless someone can point me in the right direction.

i have a 2017 Raptor and at 50,000 ready to service/rebuild the suspension.

I came across a full suspension take off from a 2019.

Mine are the blue ones before the upgrade to these red orange ones.

Is it as simple as a swap? What else would be needed?

Is my truck’s ECU capable of integrating with the new suspension?

Much appreciate to all you truck gurus in advance.
Keith

11DB5D12-31A9-4503-9FD5-8B51721AA47A.jpeg

OP
OP
K

krodUT

Reaction score
What keeps it from being “plug and play”? The lack of ECU input to control the live function of the shock tuning? If it were something electronic, could that be upgraded as well to support the swap?

No you can not plug these into your 2017 - what you can do though, is apparently RPG makes a live valve delete for the shocks that turn them into regular old analog shocks like the blue ones. https://www.neo-garage.com/products/2019-ford-raptor-live-valve-delete

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What keeps it from being “plug and play”? The lack of ECU input to control the live function of the shock tuning? If it were something electronic, could that be upgraded as well to support the swap?
The entire ECU is intertwined with the live valve shocks - all the drive modes and everything. There is no way to retrofit this into an older vehicle - if someone were hellbent on doing it it would be way cheaper to just trade the '17 for a '19 or a '20.

alphatwox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nikhsub1 is correct. You can’t use those take offs and expect it to “work” with the ‘17s in terms of it working with your terrain modes.

Also, like he said, you can buy the live valve delete from RPG. It comes with plugs and valves that will essentially take the place of where they live valve sensor is on the Shock and that will then be plugged. The valves come in the pack that wi also allow you to check and service the nitrogen levels easier. You essentially turn the take offs into the same “dumb” shocks on the ‘17-‘18.

OP
OP
K

krodUT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.

I decided to pass on those and go with a rebuild. Found this guy out of SD that does a swap so you eliminate the rebuild downtime.

Sounds like a solid deal; I’ll re-post on how it went.

https://shocksbyhammer.com/gen2raptors.html

Can get them rebuilt starting at $679 plus shipping.

B Scott

Reaction score
I assume you’re referring to Shocks by Hammer. I did the shock exchange/rebuild through them and the owner Brian Diede was super helpful and responsive. He asked me to send me photos of my shocks so he could do his best to match their condition. The shipping wasn’t cheap but the total cost was $866 delivered. I received the full refund for the shocks I returned as well. I couldn’t be happier with the performance!

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my stock shocks that I took off my 2018 at 5800 miles if your interested I would sell them for $500 and no shipping if you come pick them up. I’m in Boulder.