Upfitter Wiring Idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2018 Raptor. I previously had a 2013, and after selling it a little over two years ago, I couldn't stand it any longer and came back into the fold.

In the spirit of continuous improvement, I wanted to do something a little different with the wiring on this truck; not to mention I can be fickle and end up changing things out a lot. So, I decided I would wire plugs into the Upfitters.

I originally researched Deutsch connectors, since most lights come with these, and I like standardization. However, it seems the good crimpers are ridiculously expensive. Therefore, I decided just to go with Weatherpack.
Hopped on Amazon, got the "best" crimper for under $20 based on ratings and a 10-pack of single-pin Weatherpacks for ~$10.

Originally, I had planned on just crimping the connectors directly on the upfitters. I tried one on switch 6 and it wouldn't hold the crimp worth a damn. Looked up the connector, it's for down to 20ga wire. According to a post I found on here, the Upfitter wires are 20-24ga and I believe it. I can't believe Ford is okay with using this tiny wire for the rated current, but hey...it's on them if it burns to the ground. (Note: The connectors I got will just barely hold on to the wire size used on switch 1 [and presumably 2]).

I then decided I would use some leftover scraps from some of my other wiring projects to make pigtails for the connectors, then butt-crimp those onto the Upfitter wires. I didn't like this plan, because I thought it would be janky. However, after doing it, I'm actually pretty happy with the results. The pigtails gave me some extra breathing room.

So now, as I get lights in and ready to install, I'll just install the female end onto whatever harness comes with the lights, and I'll be good to go! Same with if I want to run anything through the cab, all I have to do is put a female connector on the pass-through wire, and I'm off to the races.

I know I'm not so savant for thinking to do this, and I'm sure many have before me. But I'm just happy to now be able to swap lights around without always having to get up there and cut wires, crimp wires, etc.

Anyway, just figured I would post up a "brilliant" plan I came up with for wiring up the upcoming lighting on my truck.
Up first is a couple of old 4.5" Light Cannons on the hood. Mounts will be here tomorrow and I'm stoked. Then in another couple months I'll probably get some Baja lights for the front bumper.

P.S. I was playing around with different heat-shrinks trying to find the tightest fit on the tiny gauge Upfitter wires. I also got distracted a couple times and forgot to slip heatshrink on, so just ended up having to tape them up. So don't judge me too harshly.
Also, the previous owner had used switches 1, 5, and 6 so they were already a little shorter to begin with. Maybe on my next truck I can try and make it look even cleaner and more professional lol.

IMG_20200726_154101.jpg

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I saw one other member here do this. Only he put a 6 pin connector (or something similar) on it. I like your idea better to be honest, as you don't need to wire up all 6 things at once. You can do 1 now, 2 later, another later, etc..

I may steal this idea actually for our own truck

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently did something similar. I got around buying a crimper for Deutsch connectors by buying pre-assembled pigtails. The largest upfitter wires (AUX 1 and 2) are 16 AWG, and there are plenty of good 16 AWG Deutsch pigtails on Ebay and Amazon.

harness.JPG

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did something similar when I first put my fogs in. I just used normal clam connectors and heat shrunk around them since I already had a bunch laying around. A little electrical tape could be used for extra precaution when you connect the male/female ends and you’ll have a weathertight seal. It’s so high up in the engine bay I’m not worried about it. I like having each one individual vs a harness so you can move them around if you want in the future. Also did all of the pass thru-wires so it’s a quick plug and play if I want to tap into one.

I did use deutsch connectors at all of my lights though for that perfect seal. You can get them with pins that fold over and use a normal crimper so you don’t have to buy their uber

E411826A-E98E-4503-85ED-45A89926B0FF.jpeg

DCC2D9EB-A051-40C9-A01A-CD54F4BA4FF5.jpeg

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never understood why Ford doesn't just have it come from the factory like this. I get that some lights and accessories aren't all using the same connectors, and some situations are going to require a relay, but wouldn't this still be better. Vendors can make adapters for those cases, or worse case, owner can cut to bare wire...which is what we currently have anyway.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never understood why Ford doesn't just have it come from the factory like this. I get that some lights and accessories aren't all using the same connectors, and some situations are going to require a relay, but wouldn't this still be better. Vendors can make adapters for those cases, or worse case, owner can cut to bare wire...which is what we currently have anyway.
No kidding. My last Yamaha R1 had an accessory wire they leave up front for you near the gauge cluster. It had a Deutsch style connector and they just had the blank other end of it connected and taped off. Genius concept lol

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We actually manufacture our custom Fog harnesses similarly with everything you need for plug n play installation with bullet connectors and swappable DT or weather pack connectors.

These are heat shrink bullet connectors. You can squeeze some terminal grease in them for added peace of mind as well which also increases current flow and repels any and all moisture.

You can any time move lights on wires and even make a bullet connector Y pig tail to combine them.

here is a video-

76573AD6-F24E-48AF-808F-377E6480FF98.jpeg 70A5FB04-DC89-42E9-8E27-02F303414A6A.jpeg 17B6C1E6-6BB9-4D2E-A0B4-D1991EDDBB4B.jpeg 1E0636C1-62C4-4559-A91B-6857313DA092.jpeg C28287AB-56EF-4517-850E-B1802527B6E1.jpeg

Raptorrunner

Reaction score
I do a lot of electrical work, maybe I can come up with a design that also uses relays so that you can decide how much amp you want on certain wires [emoji848] been thinking about it, i did soemthing similar on my 4runner prior. I can mess around with the idea and maybe if it catches on, make more?

The picture is an example I made, each piece has a cover and is waterproofed. c7c7ec43bae39cd31e65b679344507a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I started off using spades, then went to waterproof pin connectors and had nothing but trouble with both solutions.

My final solution was to hard solder them together and shrink wrap around the joint. Haven't had issues since doing that......I got really tired of having to go in there and figure out why something wasn't working.

Now I don't have to.......