Upfitter to exhaust cut out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duc Le

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a ****** exhaust cutout and tried to wired it to a 5 pin relay and then to the upfitter. From what I have figured out with my cutout:
- RED wire is to CLOSE the valve
- WHITE wire to OPEN
- BLACK is the POWER feed.

I proceeded to wire the relay as followed:
- 30 to black POWER feed wire
- 86 to Upffiter
- 85 to Ground
- 87 to white OPEN wire
- 87a to red CLOSE wire
- The cigarette lighter connected to the battery for testing.

The goal is to have the valve open when upfitter is on and closed when upfitter is off. When I flip the Upfitter switch, the relay works as expected with 87 providing power when on and 87a providing power when off. What I don't understand is that it doesn't trigger the valve every time. It'***** and miss. I have to flip the switch on and off a couple of times for it to trigger the valve to open or to close. The only time it works instantly is when I leave the upfitter switch on/off and manually connect the wires to open/close valve.
I am aware the I accidentally switched between 85 and 86 in the picture but I don't think that would matter.
I'll attach pictures of my parts and wiring.
Please tell me what I did wrong. Trying to learn about wiring. Thank you!

20210129_222920.jpg

20210129_221223.jpg

20210129_220737.jpg

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe get a better quality relay?
I have seen those cheap Chinese relays fail or work intermittently. Or even get stuck closed and open.