GEN 2 Upfitter Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRMFAM

Reaction score
@gopher870 so glad you got it figured out and everything is working properly now...enjoy your lights and that Phew feeling it was just a fuse and not something bigger! A big thanks to some of the other installs horror stories, not yours, but others I read before I did my lights I went ahead and disconnected the battery when I did mine. Did is save me? Doubtful but piece of mind and literally 25 seconds more work so pretty good ROI!

bviperd

Reaction score
I am having issues with my up fitters now. I wired the BD S8 30" light bar behind the grill. It is wired to Aux 1. The first time I hit the dirt it lasted about 30 mins before blowing the fuse. Next time I went out it lasted about 2.5 hours and then blew the fuse. Also, I am running two BD S2 sport in the GJ third brake light. Those are wired through the cab via the pass thru wires to Aux 5. Those also blew a fuse about 2.5 hours into the run. I'm curious as to why. I've checked all my wiring. I used the sodier tubes to connect everything and then heat shrinked the wires for extra protection. Does anyone think it's possible there is a short from the Upfitter wire in the engine bay to the switch in the cab? How do I diagnose this?

Thank you everyone in advance!

OP
OP
gopher870

gopher870

Reaction score
Did you use any relays? Even though the switches are rated 15/10/5 amps, if you are close in total amperage of your lights on any circuit you can experience what you are describing. Any future upgrades for me will all include relays and power directly from the battery.

I have a https://www.f150leds.com/collection.../products/17-18_raptor_paladin_bumper_bar_led installed on Switch #2 with a relay and direct battery power (as per install instructions) and have not had a single issue with usage (though I don't recommend the light).

I don't know the amps for your lights but i imagine a 30" BD light is high. Clearly your wiring is solid; its a fuse issue. So I have to assume it is an over amperage issue; even with the delay in blowing the fuse.

Last edited:

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having issues with my up fitters now. I wired the BD S8 30" light bar behind the grill. It is wired to Aux 1. The first time I hit the dirt it lasted about 30 mins before blowing the fuse. Next time I went out it lasted about 2.5 hours and then blew the fuse. Also, I am running two BD S2 sport in the GJ third brake light. Those are wired through the cab via the pass thru wires to Aux 5. Those also blew a fuse about 2.5 hours into the run. I'm curious as to why. I've checked all my wiring. I used the sodier tubes to connect everything and then heat shrinked the wires for extra protection. Does anyone think it's possible there is a short from the Upfitter wire in the engine bay to the switch in the cab? How do I diagnose this?

Thank you everyone in advance!
Learn how to do this stuff the right way. Consult with Tony Candela. Tony is an automotive electronics expert. Here’s a link to his site, directing you to his books on wiring: https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/?s=Book

As Gopher suggested, use a relay so that the aux switch only acts as a switch and not power. Power is run from the battery, WITH IT’S OWN INLINE FUSE, then to the relay.

Tony sells only high quality products. He will also talk to you on the telephone. Get the books...lotsa knowledge there. Buy your products from Tony...they are quality.

You own a quality vehicle and aux lights; use quality wiring parts. You will thank me later.

bviperd

Reaction score
The S8 is a 12 amp draw. The two S2 sports are 1.8 amp draw total. Not sure this would be enough to blow the fuse. Especially why it is taking so long to blow.

bviperd

Reaction score
Ok I ran the relay this morning for Aux 1. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought. I'll post some pics of my work. I'm hoping I solved the problem.

My next question is.. if I want to run relays for the rest of the lights do I need a separate relay for each one? I dont anticipate doing this since I haven't had a problem with any of the others.

UAIg%SYfREWMkOmZtKi4rA.jpg dm3K3qa3Rdaw2vWj2151rQ.jpg bqTOckYxQviVyXTaVXTwqQ.jpg JhA2oBJTQa6laXf4PDRA5g.jpg zaf+YUf2Q8CaKDkiyZx34A.jpg