Upfitter/pass thru wire screw up argh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmm

Reaction score
2020 here. My "hot" wires were flipped from what the book had to say. They were labeled as passthrough in the book.

RR_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pass throughs and my upfitter wires were both a royal pain in the ass to find. The upfitter wires had a large amount of tape over them wrapping them to anther wire run that made it VERY hard to tell what was what, until you started cutting open the tape. The upfitter wires were so high I had to use a real long pair of needle nose to start to pull them down, after jamming my head in that little hole for a while until I finally saw them. There was no way my arm could fit up as high as they were.

I also agree that if they were just a little longer it would have made it easier. Sure would be nice if the factory made it a little more straight forward.

I’m attempting the same right now. Would taking out the glove box help access? Mine are WAY up in the kick panel. I’ve snipped part of the wire bundle tape off but can’t really get to anymore. I’m tempted to start pulling with needle nose pliers but my luck would snap a wire or pull it from the connection.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m attempting the same right now. Would taking out the glove box help access? Mine are WAY up in the kick panel. I’ve snipped part of the wire bundle tape off but can’t really get to anymore. I’m tempted to start pulling with needle nose pliers but my luck would snap a wire or pull it from the connection.

I had luck with a real long pair of needle nose I happened to have. I didn't have to cut much tape at all on the inside. It was just a matter of getting a hold of them by squeezing my XXL hands in that tiny little space. On the engine side for the pass through wires, I had to cut a lot of tape, they were really wrapped up.

RR_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had luck with a real long pair of needle nose I happened to have. I didn't have to cut much tape at all on the inside. It was just a matter of getting a hold of them by squeezing my XXL hands in that tiny little space. On the engine side for the pass through wires, I had to cut a lot of tape, they were really wrapped up.

Thanks. The engine side was easy. I just cannot even see the wire ends on the cab side.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. The engine side was easy. I just cannot even see the wire ends on the cab side.

I couldn't either until I crammed my hand up as far as I could get it and kept feeling around and following wires and then I found one that felt dead ended. I couldn't get it loose though. That's when I tried the super long needle nose. It was up so high it was ridiculous. I feel for you, I know I had a real struggle finding mine.

RR_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welp, I found my wire ends under the kick panel after being in my head for a solid chunk of time. Tailgate release is wired to upfitter #6 and working like a champ.