upfiiter cutout control v2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
upfitter cutout control v2.0

overview

The purpose of this is to control a cutout with 1 upfitter switch and not running any wires through the firewall or hooking up any other wires in the cab.

Because it is hooked up to the aux switch, when the truck is shut off the cutout closes when the truck is turned off. And if the switch is left on, the cutout will auto open when the truck is started again.

I found that setting the timer to 4 seconds is the best and i used aux4. for gen1 3 or 4 is best so you can save the higher amp 1 and 2 for lights. gen2 use any aux of choice

4 wires are hooked up under the hood. 1)power goes to the fuse box, there is a 10mm nut that is a good place to hookup 2)ground 3)upfitter wire 4)cutout wire (actually 2 wires, red and black)

i wanted it as quiet as possible when the cutout was closed and as loud as possible when open.

So i moved the resonator back 4 inches and put the Y in front of it.
ffbe963dc0a7e592c1da4803172e2f21.jpg

parts needed

2 87a relays

2 10 amp mini timers from amazon or manufacturers website

misc wires and connectors

also i used a dmh cutout super helpful, best to just call them (but any cutout should work)
and a quicktime turndown

note* a 5 amp relay could probably be used.

timer setup

same thing (just 4 seconds) maybe easier to understand

wiring schematic
5e5338848d76ddf1a11799c2693b19cb.jpg

80402fa7cb4c55bdbdcb7dbe9850a091.jpg50d6c4dfd379ee718ea171eaeb31d448.jpgc1cc6ffad6d9e340fdfa9da21549c562.jpgae44a4eadbd8eb94cc2a906ae8a4083e.jpg

Last edited:

DTXraptor

Reaction score
I just wired this up, had a car audio/electronics shop check against the diagram and install the relay/timer setup under the hood (I don’t have all the small parts/tools). It was awesome, then my battery died. Then it was awesome, then my battery died. Finally figured out that the timer/relay connected to the battery/power is constantly pulling power and killing the battery. Anyone else have this issue with this set up?

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just wired this up, had a car audio/electronics shop check against the diagram and install the relay/timer setup under the hood (I don’t have all the small parts/tools). It was awesome, then my battery died. Then it was awesome, then my battery died. Finally figured out that the timer/relay connected to the battery/power is constantly pulling power and killing the battery. Anyone else have this issue with this set up?

The only thing that would cause that, unless it is wired wrong, is if one of the relays is faulty and "hanging on"
When you shut off the truck, the upfitter power turns off which makes it impossible for power to transfer between 30 and 87 on the right relay in diagram
For further understanding on how a relay works. When you apply power and ground to 85 and 86 this then completes the connection through 30 and 87. In this case, the right relay is already grounded on 86. So when the upfitter is turned on it powers up 85 thus completing the circuit through 30 and 87 and starts the timer

*Edit
Make sure you are using "87a" relays and not "87"
*Edit 2
Looking at the diagram again, there will be power passing through 30 to 87a when the truck is off but that dead ends into the close timer (after four seconds) so there is no draw
*Edit 3
Are you sure you programed the timer correctly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

DTXraptor

Reaction score
So, I’m finally getting back to this. Didn’t have time to try to fix what I paid “experts” to do, then forgot all about it. I’m going to tear apart what they did, then rewire. They capped off the ends of one of the timers white/green wires (but not the other), which makes me think they messed with it and possibly un/reprogrammed it. Hopefully that’s all and then I’m back in business.

edit-1: on the timers, I have a black ground wire (not shown in diagram). I assume I need to ground those as well?

thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I’m finally getting back to this. Didn’t have time to try to fix what I paid “experts” to do, then forgot all about it. I’m going to tear apart what they did, then rewire. They capped off the ends of one of the timers white/green wires, which makes me think they messed with it and possibly un/reprogrammed it. Hopefully that’s all and then I’m back in business.

edit-1: on the timers, I have a black ground wire (not shown in diagram). I assume I need to ground those as well?

thanks again!

White and green are the programming wires. Once they are set they can be capped.
(Both timers need to be programmed however)
And yes the blacks on the timer should be grounded... not sure why I didn’t have that on the diagram

DTXraptor

Reaction score
Ok, so I restarted completely. Took everything apart, then (very roughly) reconnected.

I made all of the connections the hood, then battery last. As soon as I connected the battery cable, the light built into one of the timers immediately came on (truck and switch off).

I turned on my truck, and then flipped the switch on the Upfitter. The light on the timer went off, but it didn’t do anything (cutout remained closed). This is also what the guys who wired it up the first time said when they wired it to the schematic, so they “fixed it” and wired it “correctly” (which drained my battery).

I flipped the upfitter switch off, the light on the timer came back on (and stayed on), and the cutout did nothing.

I reprogrammed both timers, but I didn’t have a light to make sure it was working properly (but, I followed your instructions on those so I’m decently confident they are programmed correctly). They worked properly the first time I did this (last year), so I don’t *think* it’s the issue, but I’ll check them again once I find a light.

Maybe I’m missing something in the wiring, I went over my connections 100 times, and still nothing.

I just want this to work! lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so I restarted completely. Took everything apart, then (very roughly) reconnected.

I made all of the connections the hood, then battery last. As soon as I connected the battery cable, the light built into one of the timers immediately came on (truck and switch off).

I turned on my truck, and then flipped the switch on the Upfitter. The light on the timer went off, but it didn’t do anything (cutout remained closed). This is also what the guys who wired it up the first time said when they wired it to the schematic, so they “fixed it” and wired it “correctly” (which drained my battery).

I flipped the upfitter switch off, the light on the timer came back on (and stayed on), and the cutout did nothing.

I reprogrammed both timers, but I didn’t have a light to make sure it was working properly (but, I followed your instructions on those so I’m decently confident they are programmed correctly). They worked properly the first time I did this (last year), so I don’t *think* it’s the issue, but I’ll check them again once I find a light.

Maybe I’m missing something in the wiring, I went over my connections 100 times, and still nothing.

I just want this to work! lol

Assuming you have everything wired correctly that would mean either a faulty timer or relay.
If you would like you could ship me the stuff and I could set it up so you would just have to connect the upfitter wire and the cutout. Shoot me a dm if you can’t get it and wanna go that route.
Just a side note, I just did one of these for a friend a couple months ago and I had to refer back to my schematic. So it is correct (besides not showing the timer black ground wire)

*edit
If memory serves me right I think I had a timer in the past that was faulty

Cxv86

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a 10 amp mini timer but it seems mine is color coded slightly different: green, black, blue, red, yellow, and white. Would the blue be attached to the red wire going to the relay? I don't have an orange wire.

OP
OP
ogdobber

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There should be a schematic included. But just guessing the yellow replaced the orange and blue is not used. If you want pm me the schematic and I’ll confirm

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is there a way to set this up that it would be open when the truck is shut off, then closes itself automatically after like 10 seconds after the truck has started? Getting ready to change my exhaust setup for the dovetail bed, so I'm planning ahead. Wouldn't mind the exhaust being a bit more quiet during cruising, but then louder when I want it to be.