Updated Gen3 Spy shots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love how enthusiastic the "it's gonna have a 5.2 SC engine" crowd is. Every time a spy shot or video is posted its the same story, "I can hear the supercharger", "see the exhaust? definitely gonna have the 5.2" and so on. I hate to break it to you guys but the Gen 3 raptor is going to have the PowerBoost engine.

There's a clip of the gen 3 being followed by the TFL guy and when it accelerates away from a stoplight it could be any clearer it's an ecoboost in there (and not a sc v8).

Agree on the powerboost. Gen 3 may not look all that different either, but will have the newest tech. Not sure if 500/600 will sway that many gen2 owners since you can get there with many tunes.

Big question to me is whether there will be a SCAB version still or not? I want to yes, but <10% (maybe even <5%) gen2 are scabs...

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same. Also imagine when the new ones comes out and it’s a 3.5 hybrid... those V8 Mercia boys will loose their minds when the gen 3 rolls in all silent like a ninja

Just curious would you be upset if they only produced a SC V8. I do mean that as a real question.

I honestly do not care at all what the gen 3 will have as a power plant and I was an early supporter of the ecoboost when Mike Rowe did the commercials. We have owned (2) as a household. I do now have a gen 1 and I am happy.

However, it does seem there are plenty who are V8 only and an equal or possibly greater amount who would want nothing more than to justify a V6 or a V8 and point out the V8 crowd was wrong.

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
Not upset at all, as long as the performance is there. I do think the future is moving towards electric but honestly I don’t have a preference at this point. I do find it amusing how people are still upset about the V6 even after all the time. The new interior of the 3rd gen looks amazing but I was thinking the truck as an entire unit would be more of an update from the previous gen. Will I get one? Maybe ... I’m not one to say what I have now is the best and won’t deny that there is better out there .

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not upset at all, as long as the performance is there. I do think the future is moving towards electric but honestly I don’t have a preference at this point. I do find it amusing how people are still upset about the V6 even after all the time. The new interior of the 3rd gen looks amazing but I was thinking the truck as an entire unit would be more of an update from the previous gen. Will I get one? Maybe ... I’m not one to say what I have now is the best and won’t deny that there is better out there .

Funny, I just typed that and an ad on YouTube talked about the future for Ford was an electric mustang and a hybrid F150.

I think my personal opinion is that each power plant has its place. I don’t daily drive my truck. We might drive it on the weekend, otherwise we drive it to an event, drive it at the event, and drive it home. I love the v8 sound with what I am doing. If I was daily driving I would prefer the ecoboost for sure, like I said me and my wife have had (2).

I think how I use my truck changes my point of view of how the truck should be. I think of my truck as a toy, where I think the majority of gen 2 guys use them more as an awesome truck for daily duties. Note: I am not saying people don’t offroad gen 2’s.

Kaz109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know absolutely nothing about the GT other than it looked cool in person at Barrett Jackson. Is there a short answer to why Ford went with the EcoBoost in the GT?
Was busy today so didn't have time to respond to this but the short answer is, the predator motor would not comply with the regulations for the class of Le mans ford entered the GT to compete.

The motor has to be under 4L if it was force injected. Not to mention the dimensions had to be a certain measurement in order for it to fit in compact size of the engine bay they had designed. The weight also had to be taken under consideration.

It has everything to do with a racing pedigree, not " Ford not trusting their V8"

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same. Also imagine when the new ones comes out and it’s a 3.5 hybrid... those V8 Mercia boys will loose their minds when the gen 3 rolls in all silent like a ninja

People complained about the exhaust note. Now they can complain about the lack of any at times LOL

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious would you be upset if they only produced a SC V8. I do mean that as a real question.

I've got a strong opinion. One of my highest priority specs is range. Blown V8 and EV both fail me there. I wouldn't be upset, but I wouldn't be a customer either.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a strong opinion. One of my highest priority specs is range. Blown V8 and EV both fail me there. I wouldn't be upset, but I wouldn't be a customer either.

For example only. I have read the TRX is getting 10C 14H MPG. Don’t know how the testing was performed either. Forgot how big the tank is on that truck. But a far cry in range from the V6TT.

A PB 3.5 is going to be the range King for a while I think.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For example only. I have read the TRX is getting 10C 14H MPG. Don’t know how the testing was performed either. Forgot how big the tank is on that truck. But a far cry in range from the V6TT.

A PB 3.5 is going to be the range King for a while I think.

Just take the EPA numbers. Highway: 18*36=648 14*33=462 City: 15*36=540 10*33=330

If we assume that driving off road nets city numbers(a big if), Raptor has a range 210 miles better. That's a lot.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just take the EPA numbers. Highway: 18*36=648 14*33=462 City: 15*36=540 10*33=330

If we assume that driving off road nets city numbers(a big if), Raptor has a range 210 miles better. That's a lot.

Exactly. Now imagine what a possible PB 3.5 might do? A hybrid Raptor wouldn’t be the king of power or 0-60 runs. But at this point an EV Hummer or TRX couldn’t compare in this area.