Update on intercooler fan mud issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Kirito

Reaction score
Your story is over the top, but difficult to prove. What evidence are you going to put forward to prove what you assert?

I firmly believe you should have been covered by the selling dealer, however...
and don’t take this personally, but you had a responsibility to ensure the purchase was acceptable to your satisfaction and you didn’t lay eyes or hands on the vehicle, nor inspect at the time of the sale transaction.

I think it’s a crappy thing for the dealer principals to do, but honestly - take that money you’re going to spend on mods and pick up an extended warranty (Flood Ford is a good place to start).

Go forth and enjoy your Raptor.

Noted, thank you. I will be getting an extended warranty. Is there a specific one you would choose? Tons of options not sure where to start

Last edited:

Sungod661

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok first of all i have a brand new fan i removed when i installed my FR intercooler whicj i would have been to aell to you for a lot less then 600$ oh and its like 2 screws to put on!!

Second no way i would pay 600 those thieves

joejenie

Reaction score
Don't feel bad on this deal. I have bought cars site unseen before in the past (other than pics). I got burned as well, but it was an old car we were going to restore. Had more rust than advertised. Heck, a friend of mine bought a Corvette this morning off pictures and it is being shipped here. He was good with it because it was "certified". I told him your story.....

chipw

Reaction score
Is the fan noise something that only happens to the gen 2's? Or does it happen to supercharged gen 1's as well? Im trying to decide if i want a supercharger or not. Its muddy just about anytime i get offroad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ice

Reaction score
Is the fan noise something that only happens to the gen 2's? Or does it happen to supercharged gen 1's as well? Im trying to decide if i want a supercharger or not. Its muddy just about anytime i get offroad.

I don't have an exact answer to your question since I'm new to this Raptor thing, but I feel like if you do a quick powerwash after every mud run you'd alright. Seems like OPs problem stemmed from mud that wasn't cleaned and dried up real hard.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen1 superchargers don't have fans. Most gen2 owners remove them. And to the OP there's piles of stock fans floating around. I have 2 sets in my garage doing nothing. And a bigger better nicer intercooler wouldn't have cost much more than the fans alone did.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen1 superchargers don't have fans. Most gen2 owners remove them. And to the OP there's piles of stock fans floating around. I have 2 sets in my garage doing nothing. And a bigger better nicer intercooler wouldn't have cost much more than the fans alone did.

I highly doubt "most" gen 2 owners remove their IC fans.

MrCincinnati

Reaction score
This truck is pretty darn well protected. I did see the original post also. Im shocked by how mud could get up in the fans/intercooler area so easily? Even at raptor assault? Im sure ford beat this truck also. Just puzzled.

Mud gets everywhere. Most of the dozen or so Raptors at Raptor Assault had serious fan noise from the IC by the end of the day.

I know this is an old thread and, this also might be my only post to date.. but I wanted to leave this here for anyone that finds themselves in my recent predicament related to the unanswered questions/statements above.

tl;dr - the fan location is a design flaw and a muddy puddle at 20mph will do it.

This video shows the location of the fans and how to clean:

I was fortunate enough to come across that video as my first search when troubleshooting this issue with my ‘20.

I loaded up the family and we took a 3-4 hour gravel road mountain climbing ride. 20-30mph. The terrain was tough enough to tear up a minivan maybe? Maybe a RAV4 would blow a tire.. nothing the Raptor would even think about otherwise. The terrain was also dry.. except a 3 foot long mud hole in a tire rut that I purposefully ran through. It was enough mud to throw up a small few pieces directly through the wide open sunroof (that’s how chill it was otherwise) to land directly between my teenage kids in the backseat (imagine..).

NBD.

We stop at a mini trail head and as I shut the truck off there’s a huge low vibration and noise that reduces in frequency to off. If you know cars you can quickly deduce it’s a fan noise due to how you reproduce the sound: get the engine hot, stand still and wait for the fans to come on.

If you look at the video above you’ll see the location of those intercooler fans. While the skid plate does protect from things being thrown up onto the face or the skid plate (or general bottoming out) - what it does not protect is stuff being flung from the tires or coming in due to immersion (sand, even).

Clearly, given this post, long term (less than 4,000 miles, apparently) use while in this state causes permanent damage. Rinsing the fans off is not a resolution to this design flaw, since the first puddle you hit degradation is likely to start and you could easily rack up equivalent miles in that state prior to making it back to civilization to rectify the issue.

I’m thinking about either relocating the fans, or rigging up a washer somehow.

long story long — this truck was likely only abused in that it’s owner was like screw this take this pos off road machine back — I hit a puddle and now it’s moaning.