UPDATE: Cam phasers AND cam shaft failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymare404

Reaction score
well... my raptor is currently undergoing cam phaser surgery and I just heard back about the results. 3 of the 4 phasers went on without a hitch. The problem phaser, passenger side exhaust, cam off in 3 pieces AND there is a ridge on the camshaft that will not allow the new phaser to slide on. SO they are now replacing the exhaust cam shaft as well.

Thankfully that camshaft is not on backorder!!! And hopefully will be covered under the ford ESP plan that is on the truck from the previous owner. The service manager said that if he runs it as that, and it doesnt work, he will run it on my aftermarket warranty that I purchased when I bough the truck! SO FINGERS CROSSED that it is covered!

So has anyone else heard of this or may have any idea what could have caused this? Dealer seems to think that it could have been caused by previous cam phaser change (this is the 3rd time they have been changed(1 per each owner so far)). Hopefully this will fix all my cam phaser issues and hopefully I will have my truck back soon!

OP
OP
Jaymare404

Jaymare404

Reaction score
Also forgot to add, I asked for the camshaft back to add to my wall of shame i am starting for this truck. Dealer said that they have to hold onto it for 3 months for Ford to look at if they want and then I can have it. So I will update this thread once I get my truck back and also when/ if I get the part.

Rep732

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your luck man, I'm currently trying to locate a competent dealer willing to fix my phasers but it's been a tough time, keep us updated!

OP
OP
Jaymare404

Jaymare404

Reaction score
ROUTE CAUSE FIGURED OUT!

Dealership said oil flow to exhaust cam shaft was cut off, causing galling of bearings etc and restricting flow to cam phaser. The solution, change the entire head.

Good news is... its all being covered under warranty! and they got the head this morning. bad news is they hope to have it done by friday. If not, i wont be able to drive it on our vacation.... Everyone say a prayer for me and my truck to get done because I dont want to have to leave it behind!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Glad the RC is identified. Don’t rush the repair. Count on NOT taking your truck. Even IF you get it back Friday, DON’T do it. Fortune has not smiled on you so far, and it will be tempting fate to drive out of the stealership Friday PM, and have a breakdown from a workmanship issue 20 minutes into your trip that will spiral into a vacation crashing PITA.

Drive it local, during the week when service department is available for at least a week until you have validated the repair.

steved57

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine's making the rattle now (73,000 miles) so am going to start looking for a competent dealer to get the repair done

ktownsensation

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well mine went in to have an engine rattle that was constant at idle looked at. I had had the updated phasers and service bulletins done 5000 km ago, and was told it would need to go back in to have them re done. Long story short got a call today and was told after the engine was put back together with new phasers the noise was even worse and now potentially might need a new engine. Ford was being contacted to see the next steps. I might be in the same boat as you