Unhappy with Upgraded Sound System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so it's sounding like I need a processor at minimum to make this setup work. I am open to different kinds and not partial to JL just out of the ones I've seen it looks to be the most user friendly. Also would a processor take the spot of the LOC? I don't have too much space to work with. In terms of other processors are they relatively easy to tune or would that require me to go to a shop to get tuned? Thanks again for the feedback from all.
a processor gives you unlimited adjustability. even jl audio with their tun software, will need correct tuning. you can run a processor with a passive front stage, but its nowhere near what you can do with an active front stage. is your truck a supercab or crewcab? theres room behind the rear seat to mount equipment. the crewcabs have more space though. and yes, the processor will take its place. just about every processor can take hi level in.

OP
OP
G

Garrett

Reaction score
a processor gives you unlimited adjustability. even jl audio with their tun software, will need correct tuning. you can run a processor with a passive front stage, but its nowhere near what you can do with an active front stage. is your truck a supercab or crewcab? theres room behind the rear seat to mount equipment. the crewcabs have more space though. and yes, the processor will take its place. just about every processor can take hi level in.
It's a screw. I'm planning on just getting a processor and going from there. I think I will be able to get it sounding pretty damn good without having to add another amp to make it fully active. I'm hoping the processor will give me enough to be able to tune some of the harsh frequencies out of the tweeters and also give myself a more flat EQ curve to work with. I like the idea that the Fix has the auto calibrate function to achieve that last part. Worse comes to worse if I don't like it after just the processor I could take the rears out and run an active stage in the front temporarily with my current equipment. I will report back here after I decide on a processor and get it installed. Thank you for all the help.

OP
OP
G

Garrett

Reaction score
UPDATE

So I bought a JL Fix 86 today primarily for the auto calibrate function. Hooked it up and calibrated it and the results honestly impressed me for not doing any tuning off a computer. Ended up calling JL with help as to how to get the unit to turn on based off of signal vs a remote wire and they recommended I just leave the sub input out and let the front and rear channels sum bass frequencies into the sub channel. I did this and my sub response was greatly improved with no more muddy sounds. Overall, I am sure there are way better processors out there for those who want to take their systems to the next level but for me, I like the ease of installation with the Fix 86. Thank you to everyone for the help!

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Well, you made up some great ground on the lack of post here with this subject. Good prodding @The Car Stereo Company! Now if you wait to you get to my age (old) you won't need to add anything as you can't hear good sound from bad! Wife asks every summer "can you hear the crickets?" and I always have the same reply, what crickets :(.

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you made up some great ground on the lack of post here with this subject. Good prodding @The Car Stereo Company! Now if you wait to you get to my age (old) you won't need to add anything as you can't hear good sound from bad! Wife asks every summer "can you hear the crickets?" and I always have the same reply, what crickets :(.
Yes, at 71, the original setup in this '14 sounds great.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
My Focal's sounded really bright to me at first even after it was tuned. Remember the sound will change as the speakers get broken in. I also made some small tweaks on mine. Gains are sometimes set to high. I went into my DSP settings with my computer and made some very small adjustments. I got it where I want it now.
Enjoy!

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LC7i is pretty good, not great. But you should be more than happy if it is tuned correctly. I'd have a professional tune it. All your gear you should have incredible sound.
“…tuned correctly.”, is the key. Thought my system sounded pretty good after the LC7i install (it was better than the stock processing going on). Then, my cousin told me the bass was drowned out. Was kinda thinking that, but thought it was me. At first I tried adjusting at the radio equalizer. Sounded like garbage to me. I realized as I was increasing base to the upgraded Kicker sub that I was also overwhelming the stock speakers with too much bass.

Played around with the amp, and LC7i, settings… much better. Now the bass is more pronounced over the mids and highs, without making them sound distorted.

So, maybe play around with your settings to see if you can find a sweet spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garrett

Reaction score
“…tuned correctly.”, is the key. Thought my system sounded pretty good after the LC7i install (it was better than the stock processing going on). Then, my cousin told me the bass was drowned out. Was kinda thinking that, but thought it was me. At first I tried adjusting at the radio equalizer. Sounded like garbage to me. I realized as I was increasing base to the upgraded Kicker sub that I was also overwhelming the stock speakers with too much bass.

Played around with the amp, and LC7i, settings… much better. Now the bass is more pronounced over the mids and highs, without making them sound distorted.

So, maybe play around with your settings to see if you can find a sweet spot.
I also had muddy bass but what really fixed that problem for me was avoiding the sub input from the headunit/amp and instead letting the LC7i or FIX sum the speaker inputs into a sub output for the amp. I never tried that when I had the LC7i but I am pretty sure it works the same as the FiX. It’s amazing the difference that made, my bass sounds 10x better. Not sure if this would help with yours but worth a shot @Ellison3