Unhappy with Upgraded Sound System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone has advice on my current gen 1's sound system (2014). My current setup is as follows.
-Factory head unit with factory amp removed.
-Audio Control Lc7i LOC
-JL 700/5 Amp
-Jl 13.5 Stealthbox
-Morel Tempo Ultra 602 Components in the front factory locations for tweeter and woofers with the included crossovers set to the lowest tweeter attenuation (-3db).
-Hertz coaxial in the back (Not sure what model they came with the truck)

The system doesn't sound bad but not great to me. My biggest problem is that high frequencies in songs are often overwhelming making me want to turn the volume down on certain songs because they just don't play well. Examples would be like cymbals in drums or high pitched guitar sounds. My question is whether id be better off replacing the Lc7i with the JL Fix 86 (allowing me to obtain a flatter EQ and also use JL's TüN app) or just simply moving my tweeters from the stock A-Pillar location. I would rather not spend the money on the DSP but if it really makes that big of a difference I am open to it. I've read a lot of previous forums from @The Car Stereo Company and have learned a lot in the process and hoping maybe you could chime in. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
#PicturesOrItsAprius

Are you sure the x-overs are set right? I had the same issue, I think even the same speakers up front, and started with them set on +db instead of normal or -. I played with the tune app ( RF / maestro ) and still couldn’t pull that ‘sharpness’ out of the highs.

moved the x-overs and much better.
I’d set to “flat signal” ; zero every range out, play some songs and evaluate. check / change the crossovers and reevaluate.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am wondering if anyone has advice on my current gen 1's sound system (2014). My current setup is as follows.
-Factory head unit with factory amp removed.
-Audio Control Lc7i LOC
-JL 700/5 Amp
-Jl 13.5 Stealthbox
-Morel Tempo Ultra 602 Components in the front factory locations for tweeter and woofers with the included crossovers set to the lowest tweeter attenuation (-3db).
-Hertz coaxial in the back (Not sure what model they came with the truck)

The system doesn't sound bad but not great to me. My biggest problem is that high frequencies in songs are often overwhelming making me want to turn the volume down on certain songs because they just don't play well. Examples would be like cymbals in drums or high pitched guitar sounds. My question is whether id be better off replacing the Lc7i with the JL Fix 86 (allowing me to obtain a flatter EQ and also use JL's TüN app) or just simply moving my tweeters from the stock A-Pillar location. I would rather not spend the money on the DSP but if it really makes that big of a difference I am open to it. I've read a lot of previous forums from @The Car Stereo Company and have learned a lot in the process and hoping maybe you could chime in. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
its typical of the audio control. the high frequency is just too overbearing. the jl audio interface is a cheaper route but im not a fan of their processor app at all. while im very familiar with it, its not ideal. the issue you are going to have is that you will need to add a second amplifier. you want to run an active stage. this allows direct tuning and adjustment to the tweeter alone. makin it possible to reduce the output gain going to each specific tweeter location. if you do a processor or add th jl piece, you will want to add th amp regardless. we have always left the oem amp in place and got signal after it. i have heard of people getting audio going to the amp, but the data thats in the amp, usually you will want to keep. unfortunately due to how these trucks are set up, you kind of have to go all in. as you know now, you spent a lot of money, but arent happy, and the only solution would be a processor, whether it be the jl audio, or you go with a mosconi, hertz, helix, etc.... the ideal way would be to have seperate channels for the front stage (active) this gives you the most control over your system

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The LC7i is pretty good, not great. But you should be more than happy if it is tuned correctly. I'd have a professional tune it. All your gear you should have incredible sound.

OP
OP
G

Garrett

Reaction score
Just double checked and the x-overs are set to -2db which is as low as they go. As far as sending out a flat signal I don't really have much to adjust besides the factory treble, midrange and bass adjustments and those are all at 0.

On another note, I sometimes wish I could get Prius gas mileage with today's gas prices lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
G

Garrett

Reaction score
I don't know what to tune on the Lc7i as there is really just volume knobs.

I have been a ghost on this site but there is already an abundance of info on here haha.

OP
OP
G

Garrett

Reaction score
its typical of the audio control. the high frequency is just too overbearing. the jl audio interface is a cheaper route but im not a fan of their processor app at all. while im very familiar with it, its not ideal. the issue you are going to have is that you will need to add a second amplifier. you want to run an active stage. this allows direct tuning and adjustment to the tweeter alone. makin it possible to reduce the output gain going to each specific tweeter location. if you do a processor or add th jl piece, you will want to add th amp regardless. we have always left the oem amp in place and got signal after it. i have heard of people getting audio going to the amp, but the data thats in the amp, usually you will want to keep. unfortunately due to how these trucks are set up, you kind of have to go all in. as you know now, you spent a lot of money, but arent happy, and the only solution would be a processor, whether it be the jl audio, or you go with a mosconi, hertz, helix, etc.... the ideal way would be to have seperate channels for the front stage (active) this gives you the most control over your system
Ok so it's sounding like I need a processor at minimum to make this setup work. I am open to different kinds and not partial to JL just out of the ones I've seen it looks to be the most user friendly. Also would a processor take the spot of the LOC? I don't have too much space to work with. In terms of other processors are they relatively easy to tune or would that require me to go to a shop to get tuned? Thanks again for the feedback from all.

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recomend a set of Passive crossovers for the front components (Sonicelectronics has a few / NVX X series is best offered imo).

OP
OP
G

Garrett

Reaction score
I'd recomend a set of Passive crossovers for the front components (Sonicelectronics has a few / NVX X series is best offered imo).
Well I do have the passive crossovers that came with the Morels in use. Are you saying that you would recommend upgrading the crossovers? I am not really sure what that would do. I thought those are essentially just to send the different frequencies to the appropriate speakers.