Undercover Ridgelander hard tonneau experience

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Another option worth looking at is the new RetraxPRO XR. You have the retractable style of the regular Retrax cover, with the option to mount cross bars on top for bike racks and other gear. It may be worth looking into if you don’t want a one-piece cover.

We do offer the Undercover option as well.

Last edited:

aizdaman

Reaction score
I have the Undercover Ridgelander and have it set up to accommodate 4 bikes for our family outing as well as my solo rides super early in the morning. It works great and is flexible enough to have a number of different configs to meet most people's needs. It has been the best cover for my needs.

escott

Reaction score
Very nice looking set up. I love the rail rack options on the Ridgelander..... I have to ask how often you need to take the entire cover off to use the truck bed. I used to run Avalanches and found those covers heavy and annoying, but quite convenient if I wanted to move something "tall". I'm just getting back into the pick up truck world and really want a cover..... Thanks.

aizdaman

Reaction score
I have removed it a few times and it's not too hard or even that heavy. It is a bit hard to do solo but I have managed it before. The best way to do it though is to remove any of the bike racks prior to removing since it takes away a lot of weight. The hardest part is putting it back on and lining everything up but I have also managed solo as well.

It is not as easy as the soft covers or the food or roll up style ones but the other benefits have outweighed those for my particular usage.

usurper

Reaction score
Yeah man. Go to liftsupportsdepot.com. I check my order and this is exactly what I ordered:

(2) Lift Supports Depot ST270P90 Gas Charged Lift Support SKU 60078-10W $55.80 (for pair)

(4) 10mm Quick Release Ball Socket, Nylon End M6x1.0 Black SKU H00014W $10.00 (for 4)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this list! Updating my shocks as well as would like the cover to open and be solid with some items loaded in the racks.

Reaction score
Lots of great info in this thread, as I'm looking to find a hard cover that I can install my Thule rack and basket/skicarrier on top of the cover, but also easily be able to remove it when I need a full bed for large items. (Probably need full bed once/month?)

I also came from an Avalanche and loved that I could easily remove the panels on my own when I need the truck bed. The Thule rack/basket system mounted directly to the hard panels that offered a quick release button on each tower, then I could remove the full rack/basket in about a minute, another minute to remove the 3 hard panels.

That is my one hang-up at this stage with this Ridgelander setup, its seems like a pain to remove and re-install the cover on my own without help, as its one piece vs separate panels?

Also considering the Diamondback SE, where similar to my Avalanche setup, Id be able to drill through the cover to mount my Thule rack and basket, which easily removes from the cover. I like that I could remove the Diamondback SE cover by myself as it separates into three manageable pieces, but the center piece has 4 bolt on clamps that seem like a pain to remove/re-install. Just not as easy as I'd prefer...

I dont really have a great solution to my specific needs so still researching best option. Attached are pics to my Thule rack/basket/ski carrier and what I'd like to replicate with my new Raptor.

20190113_115758.jpg
20190113_115149.jpg

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lots of great info in this thread, as I'm looking to find a hard cover that I can install my Thule rack and basket/skicarrier on top of the cover, but also easily be able to remove it when I need a full bed for large items. (Probably need full bed once/month?)

I also came from an Avalanche and loved that I could easily remove the panels on my own when I need the truck bed. The Thule rack/basket system mounted directly to the hard panels that offered a quick release button on each tower, then I could remove the full rack/basket in about a minute, another minute to remove the 3 hard panels.

That is my one hang-up at this stage with this Ridgelander setup, its seems like a pain to remove and re-install the cover on my own without help, as its one piece vs separate panels?

Also considering the Diamondback SE, where similar to my Avalanche setup, Id be able to drill through the cover to mount my Thule rack and basket, which easily removes from the cover. I like that I could remove the Diamondback SE cover by myself as it separates into three manageable pieces, but the center piece has 4 bolt on clamps that seem like a pain to remove/re-install. Just not as easy as I'd prefer...

I dont really have a great solution to my specific needs so still researching best option. Attached are pics to my Thule rack/basket/ski carrier and what I'd like to replicate with my new Raptor.

View attachment 118748
View attachment 118751

The are two covers that will work for you, both are retractable.

The RetraxPRO XR allows you to mount Yakima or Thule cross bars to either side of your bed cover along the rails. You could then mount your Thule Rack/Basket to those cross bars.

Another option is the Pace Edwards Ultragoove series covers.

Both covers are available in poly, metal, and/or electric versions. I'd be happy to go over each of them with you to find the right solution. Let me know if we can help.

javaporter

Reaction score
@GM3SF those are some amazing photos, nice work. has anyone done a long drive (~2000 miles) with bikes on the ridgelander (specifically the mounts where you leave the front tire on)? Also will be doing some minor 4WD (nothing crazy, just driving some high clearance/bumpy roads to get to harder to reach trailheads in Utah).

Dakshun

Reaction score
awesome post(still), Thank you, kind of new part number + amazon if interested; worked like a charm ST270P90EZ10

93956758_10157686416892217_295138216867004416_o.jpg
[sorry a suburban Tboned the raptor]