Undercoating this weekend; What to spray?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw the nightmare someone here had with undercoating by a ***** dealer.

what about a good linex shop for undercoating? Is that recommended?
There is a coating that I put underneath my old mustang, called raptor liner, but that is put on before any parts are on the underside, when it is brand new and just a shell. It has held up very well since the restomod was completed 4 years ago. Never do that after a vehicle is complete, ever.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a coating that I put underneath my old mustang, called raptor liner, but that is put on before any parts are on the underside, when it is brand new and just a shell. It has held up very well since the restomod was completed 4 years ago. Never do that after a vehicle is complete, ever.
Why?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s the concern here around undercoating the steel portions of the underbody with I.e. tectyl (same stuff that’s in the amsoil) at a reputable shop?
I can't see anything wrong with that, most people do it at home every year, but yeah, I would coat almost everything as long as it can come off easy enough. I know the fluid film comes off my shocks and suspension parts when I use a mild degreaser, that's my preference as I like to have shiny shocks in the warmer months.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see anything wrong with that, most people do it at home every year, but yeah, I would coat almost everything as long as it can come off easy enough. I know the fluid film comes off my shocks and suspension parts when I use a mild degreaser, that's my preference as I like to have shiny shocks in the warmer months.

Do you also wear chiny chirts?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because this type of material bonds really well to a clean surface, if you have already driven a vehicle and spray this type of material on top of moving flexible parts, it will crack and dirt and moisture will get in behind it and form rust. Also, when a vehicle is altogether and you apply this type of stuff, when you remove or service parts, you are breaking the seal again. Just not advisable is all. But to each their own, I always say, we all think differently and have different opinions. Others might like spraying hardened material over their suspension components, you never know, lol.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you also wear chiny chirts?
??? Talk english please! I use a creaper and spray under one side at a time in my driveway, with a spray nozzle. Yeah i've had drips on me, but whatever, clean up after, don't wear good clothes, lol.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I’m going to look into getting those. Where did you get the push pins to hold them in place at?

As for the boiled linseed oil, while it is an effective rust preventative, it tends to not hold up under heavy road wash like the AMSoil Metal Protector or Woolwax will.

For example, I recently transferred my license plate off my old truck to the Raptor. For ***** and giggles, I decided to clean the grime off it where it got indirectly shot with my various applications of Fluid Film and later Woolwax over the years. I could not for the life of me get that crap off there even with Dawn Platinum and a brush.
I got the pushpins as an assortment from ebay.
Actually what i gave found is if you spray fluid film or woolwax in a traffic area such as wheelwells it will wash right off in a short period of time.Boiled Linseed oil will not wash off in traffic areas where lots of salt water and road debris hits the wheelwells.

Tr4ckD4ys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because this type of material bonds really well to a clean surface, if you have already driven a vehicle and spray this type of material on top of moving flexible parts, it will crack and dirt and moisture will get in behind it and form rust. Also, when a vehicle is altogether and you apply this type of stuff, when you remove or service parts, you are breaking the seal again. Just not advisable is all. But to each their own, I always say, we all think differently and have different opinions. Others might like spraying hardened material over their suspension components, you never know, lol.
Thank you! I’m still trying to make up my mind around this product. The shop appears to be very reputable based on Google reviews, and the guy said the coating holds up for 3-5 years. Maybe it’s a different rubberized solvent or whatever the word is... I don’t know. I’m just looking for a trustworthy, professionally applied solution. Because well, my Raptor has seen one winter already and it does look like cancer under there, so its second winter I’d like it to be protected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir