Undercoating this weekend; What to spray?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw the nightmare someone here had with undercoating by a ***** dealer.

what about a good linex shop for undercoating? Is that recommended?

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the nightmare someone here had with undercoating by a ***** dealer.

what about a good linex shop for undercoating? Is that recommended?

Guess you missed that recent nightmare line-x thread.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for that. I’m going to look into getting those. Where did you get the push pins to hold them in place at?

As for the boiled linseed oil, while it is an effective rust preventative, it tends to not hold up under heavy road wash like the AMSoil Metal Protector or Woolwax will.

For example, I recently transferred my license plate off my old truck to the Raptor. For ***** and giggles, I decided to clean the grime off it where it got indirectly shot with my various applications of Fluid Film and later Woolwax over the years. I could not for the life of me get that crap off there even with Dawn Platinum and a brush.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely spray the shocks, I do everything under the truck on my gen 1 except the exhaust and drivetrain, but include the rear end. I don't spray my skid plates either. I pressure wash and then wipe down my shocks clean every spring, then start the process again every fall. My shocks still corrode where the rocks and road debris hit them face on, you would have to wrap them in the winter to protect them, then unwrap them in the warmer weather. Don't know if that's too extreme or not. I used to wrap the shocks in my quads, so it is possible.

I’m willing to consider a wrap. What’s the best way to go about it?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m willing to consider a wrap. What’s the best way to go about it?

I got ones like this from the yamaha dealer in Coos Bay, Oregon, they are velcro on the backside. You will have to do some research or maybe go into a local bike shop and see what they have and measure. These ones wrap around the whole coil over, but that won't work on our trucks, but you will be able to wrap around the bottom of the shock under the collars.
HTB1knITbTnI8KJjy0Ffq6AdoVXah.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to bring mine in to a local coating shop where they will be doing the entire underbody with Tectyl 2102 for about 475 USD.

I can tell you by just by looking at that product that you do not want to have that done. Rubberized solvent based undercoatings never hold up long term. Eventually, the solvents evaporate and you are left with an inferior undercoating that flakes off, outright fails, and does not protect.

GM used a similar rubberized undercoating on their trucks. Per the factory service manual, it was recommended that upon seeing any evidence of rust, the technician was to wire brush the affected area and reapply the specific undercoating. This was to be done every year or upon seeing evidence of corrosion as that was the only way to ensure against rot.

Problem was, you cannot get into every nook and cranny to do so. The decision to use that type of undercoating was pure cost and that, combined with the crap metal Kobe Steel supplied GM, led to a lot of prematurely rusted out trucks, mine included.

I feel an oil based or wax based solution such as Woolwax is a far more effective method. Woolwax will actually creep around when heated up. I sprayed the inside of the hood on my Silverado and come summer time when the temperatures spiked, you could see the trail of Woolwax coming out from the bottom edge of the hood and slowly working it’s way topside.