Undercoating questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockeyman70s

Reaction score
Hey all, just bought a 22 and want to get it undercoated before salt hits the road. Ive had good luck with woolwax on my toyota but have heard that it peels the paint off GM frames. Anyone have preferences on Woolwax ,NHOU etc for undercoating? Also anything I should have them not spray or tape off ( shocks and such)?
Thanks

gxgn

Reaction score
I did Amsoil HD for almost everything and Yamashield for the shocks and any points with electrical contacts.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Woolwax is awesome and unless Ford completely changed their frame coating since '20, it works very well and has no effect on it. They should tape off the shocks, and the skids, at a minimum. My guy taped off the body so no overspray could get on it. I am very satisfied with the Woolwax after 2 years.

I had a shop do mine. It was a 3 day job. Pressure wash everything to prep it, mask all the bodywork, wheels, etc. Spray 2nd day. Let it set up for a day before pick up. They did the full inside of my entire frame and hitch, every nook and cranny, a super thorough job. Just be careful of the shop you pick. The first 2 were repair shops doing this on the side. They do their work outside! The first guy told me my truck was too new to have it done, bring it back when it's older, because the whole truck would be completely covered in the product when he was done! Second guy was just as goofy. The third guy, the guy that I had do it, was a body/resto shop who were very an al. My kind of guy!

Last edited:

alexhartang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Line-X makes a killer permanent undercoating. Had a shop do mine (with a lifetime warranty) and it’s held up great thus far. Had them line-x my wheel wells in the same visit. Cost a bit of money but worth it to have a reputable shop do it, and do it right.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did Amsoil HD for almost everything and Yamashield for the shocks and any points with electrical contacts.
Same here, except used Bioshield T9 on the shocks. Also painted the exposed steel on the front a-arms.

I usually tape off things and cover the truck, but you can also put MPHD into a container (spray it) and use a foam brush to get it into tough to reach places. I also found it easy to spray it right onto a latex glove and massage it into tight areas (yes, make whatever joke you like lol).

ReLLiK75

Reaction score
Line-X makes a killer permanent undercoating. Had a shop do mine (with a lifetime warranty) and it’s held up great thus far. Had them line-x my wheel wells in the same visit. Cost a bit of money but worth it to have a reputable shop do it, and do it right.
Approx how much did this cost?