GEN 2 UCAs -- are they worth it for me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Asinine

Reaction score
I have a Roush with FOX 3.0 shocks. I ordered Icon rear leafs and SVC FOX 2.0 bumpstop kit to (hopefully) eliminate that hopping/bucking feel from the rear.

I'm debating front UCAs -- I've read about the features of upgraded UCAs, however I'm undecided as to whether I'll notice any benefits. Will I notice better handling, better ride, more travel, or any other benefits? Is the $1,400 + install money well spent?

My truck is my almost DD on crappy CA roads and sees a trail 2-3 times per year. Likely sticking with 35s and stock wheels, but ya never know.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While it's not huge, I do think you will notice the difference. Steering feels a bit more precise. The whole front end just feels tighter. That said, the biggest benefit is being able to lock in your alignment in conjunction with a slot delete kit. If you are not going to do that then I'm not sure it's worth the money.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@Truckzor is spot on. When the front is raised (in your case via the 3.0 upgrade) you lose a little caster which can make the steering feel a little light/loose. Being able to dial in more caster results in much better steering feedback. However, if the steering is not bothering you currently it may not be worth it to upgrade.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have enough miles on them yet to give a proper review. So far I love them, though.

OP
OP
A

Asinine

Reaction score
Steering feels good to me, however I've never driven a Raptor with upgraded UCAs, so I have nothing to compare with. Makes sense about corrected caster and overall geometry, thanks for confirming the extra height affects that.

I hadn't considered a slot delete kit until now, figured that was for hardcore offroading. If I do UCAs, should I also do the slot delete? What's a good kit?

Love those Icon UCAs. Only bummer is they require 5" backspacing and I'm staying with the Roush wheels at 5.75". Figured I'd run the RPG UCAs in FOX orange, unless there's a better option.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to pick up a set but worry about salt eating them and having to replace the ball joints annually:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk