Tying leds fog lights to headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BDF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience or thoughts on wiring my 6 led fogs thru my upfitter to the headlights? Want to do the same with my LEDs behind the grill, but wire them to the brights.

Getting sick of flipping switches.

Yipekiye

Reaction score
I asked a local retailer about this and they told me it was illegal and I would get ticketed. Shame, because I would like it to be a bit brighter.

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the right way to do it is with relays. You need to connect the relay's switched ON tab to the hot for the stock headlights or high beams or parking lights. 1-12 volt relay for each pair of Fogs or Driving Lights.

The connection is not illegal unless the aftermarket lights are for "Offroad Use Only". You need SAE Rated Lights to legally run them on the street. Rigid makes SAE Fogs - clear or amber.

The way to do it "Legally" is by connecting the Hot tab for the relay to one on the Upfitter switches. Then the way your Aftermarket lights will work is the Upfitter switch is the Master on/off. If you leave the Upfitter switch on, your Aftermarket lights will go on with your Headlights or whatever you connect the switched input of the relay to. You will be able to shut off your Aftermarket lights with the Upfitter switch when not needed.

Aloha, HT

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
couldn’t you also procure an F150 switch for the fogs, and save the up fitter position?

Hawaiian Time

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldn’t you also procure an F150 switch for the fogs, and save the up fitter position?
Yes, if you want to save the Upfitter switches for something else you could get an F150 switch and install it in one of the blank plastic rectangles on the dash / console if you wanted. You will still need to use relay(s). The F150 Switch would go to a constant hot 12v source or battery and the other side of the switch will go to the hot tab on the relay. Be sure you put a fuse on the hot lead to the switch.

Aloha, HT

Last edited: