turning off all lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red GSXR

Reaction score
I know this is not a German, Japanese or any other First World marvel, and therefore I must lower my expectations to the ground. However, I must to ask the following :

Is it possible to turn off all the interior and exterior lights, when this truck is not going to be in use for a while?

During a few off grid travels, the battery was drained. Every time somebody opens a door, all the lights come on and stay on. Does this garbage truck have a push button "turn off all power until further notice" feature?

I guess I could unhook the battery, carry a charger, or even better off purchase a German Zetros / Unimog or Japanese Tundra. LoL

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You either a troll or talking trash to just try and get a reaction.

Sorry, it’s not 1990 anymore where interior lights are controlled by a rheostat. I know the “tundra” still has a cassette player, but the rest of the world has progressed.

These trucks automatically shut off their lights when they’re not in use, just like every modern vehicle. Not sure what you’re trying to claim, but it’s not making any sense.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve not enabled it myself, but with FORSCAN, you can enable
Dark Car Mode (DCM) which I believe suppresses the internal lighting and I think this is configured on the LE fleet vehicles.

Sync3 APIM
7D0-08-01xxxxxxxxx*--Auto Hold (AH), Video On Demand (VOD), Dark Car Mode (DCM), Power (Climate Overlay) (PCL)
0=AH Disabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Disabled, PCL Disabled8=AH Enabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Disabled, PCL Disabled
1=AH Disabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Disabled, PCL Enabled9=AH Enabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Disabled, PCL Enabled
2=AH Disabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Enabled, PCL DisabledA=AH Enabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Enabled, PCL Disabled
3=AH Disabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Enabled, PCL EnabledB=AH Enabled, VOD Disabled, DCM Enabled, PCL Enabled
4=AH Disabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Disabled, PCL DisabledC=AH Enabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Disabled, PCL Disabled
5=AH Disabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Disabled, PCL EnabledD=AH Enabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Disabled, PCL Enabled
6=AH Disabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Enabled, PCL DisabledE=AH Enabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Enabled, PCL Disabled
7=AH Disabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Enabled, PCL EnabledF=AH Enabled, VOD Enabled, DCM Enabled, PCL Enabled

BCM
726-32-01xxxxx*xxxxxxPolice Dark Car0=Null, 1=Dark

I’m not sure if these are needed together, work separately or overlap but they should help control interior lighting.

I have suppressed chimes where possible and that is a bit more calm.

However, if you’re killing the battery, it’s almost certainly NOT the interior lights, I think they’re all LED and they don’t stay on for a long time.
Have you done any FORSCAN mods, aftermarket sub in particular; I believe this and a few other FORSCAN mods work at the expense of turning off the battery management system (BMS). That’s not a good thing.

OP
OP
R

Red GSXR

Reaction score
Install a battery kill switch in your garbage truck.

Sounds like you had a battery that was close to the end of its life. Could be user instead of equipment in this case.

I highly doubt it for a 2 year old garbage truck, with less than 5k miles on the clock. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the kill switch option.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt it for a 2 year old garbage truck, with less than 5k miles on the clock. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the kill switch option.
I have seen a battery die in 2 months and another battery last 12 years.
Age of battery is very little indication of its actual abilities.

As others have stated the lights draw very little power.

not sure what you mean by "off grid" (I understand what off grid means, but most truly off grid do NOT depend on vehicle battery alone)

Industry average for a vehicle sitting unused is 30 days (BMW is one of the lowest at 27 days, so shove Germany up your A$$.)

As far as garbage, sell your raptor (if you even actually own one) and move on, it obviously doesn't suit your needs/wants.

BYE!!!

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've done lots of off-grid camping in mine, staying at some campsites for two nights without starting it, in and out of it a bunch, and have had no issues. I set the lights off timeout as short as possible and make a point of closing the doors rather than leaving them open as that timeout is very long, like 20-30 minutes. It does annoy me that it lights up like a Christmas tree whenever you touch it, but it doesn't seem to affect the battery that much. I haven't bothered with the Forscan mod, although I think about it every time I go camping. Having dark mode in a configuration menu would be awesome ... just in case Ford is listening and the software/marketing geeks are panting and heaving for a new feature that's actually useful.