Turned on Flex Fuel in Forscan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got Forscan set up on a mini laptop to run through the Raptor options. Main question is, I enabled the flex fuel option. Will I be able to use E85 if I wanted to?

I remember reading a technical post that newer vehicles are all built using E85 safe fuel system components.

Also any useful options that can be turned on? I enabled the daytime running lamps.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got Forscan set up on a mini laptop to run through the Raptor options. Main question is, I enabled the flex fuel option. Will I be able to use E85 if I wanted to?

I remember reading a technical post that newer vehicles are all built using E85 safe fuel system components.

Also any useful options that can be turned on? I enabled the daytime running lamps.
I belive that different injectors and other parts are needed for E85. Could be wrong though.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only the 5.4 Raptor could use E85.
Not also, is just bcs 5,4 come from factory as a flexfuel, but it doesnt' mean you can't use E85 in others engines.

I would like to know where you find enabled/disabled E85 in Forscan ?

About components, some old plastic pipe may not apreciate E85, but now standard fuel has a part of ethanol, so no major problem for engine built after 2010 and perhaps before...
About injectors, it's a question of size, you need injector able debit a lot, what we already have on Raptor I guess ^^
All cars with twin sensor exaust catalyst manage E85 adding alone , the sensors send informations of the combustion to say to the engine more or less air/gas. (and the risk with ethanol (and no modification) is to have a car wich is not able to do that correctly and run with a too poor mixed, in fact, too much air, or not enough gas)

I use 50% of ethanol (sometime more) in mine since the beginning (almost 2 years now) without any modification and any problem...

To conclude, I would say that even if I had a 100% flexfuel engine, I wouldn't use as it just bcs E85 is a "dry gas" and run whith it all the time could make some dammage on inlet valkve for exemple ... So I think have sometimes a mixed is a good thing between lubrification and deslagging...

To finish, I have noticed that more I have ethanol in tank, more power I have, and off course, less mileage I have, this last point are well known by E85 users

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look again, but IIRC, I found the flex fuel option in the PCM section. I didn't spend too much time looking through everything so I was just looking for the daytime running lamps and flex fuel.

I also enabled the "dark car" option. I want to turn on the folding mirrors when locking but didn't see it.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not also, is just bcs 5,4 come from factory as a flexfuel, but it doesnt' mean you can't use E85 in others engines.

I would like to know where you find enabled/disabled E85 in Forscan ?

About components, some old plastic pipe may not apreciate E85, but now standard fuel has a part of ethanol, so no major problem for engine built after 2010 and perhaps before...
About injectors, it's a question of size, you need injector able debit a lot, what we already have on Raptor I guess ^^
All cars with twin sensor exaust catalyst manage E85 adding alone , the sensors send informations of the combustion to say to the engine more or less air/gas. (and the risk with ethanol (and no modification) is to have a car wich is not able to do that correctly and run with a too poor mixed, in fact, too much air, or not enough gas)

I use 50% of ethanol (sometime more) in mine since the beginning (almost 2 years now) without any modification and any problem...

To conclude, I would say that even if I had a 100% flexfuel engine, I wouldn't use as it just bcs E85 is a "dry gas" and run whith it all the time could make some dammage on inlet valkve for exemple ... So I think have sometimes a mixed is a good thing between lubrification and deslagging...

To finish, I have noticed that more I have ethanol in tank, more power I have, and off course, less mileage I have, this last point are well known by E85 users

I'm not new to E85, I've used it in many vehicles, from stock to race stuff. The 6.2 Raptor didn't use flex fuel from the factory, the 5.4 did. I am not saying you can't CONVERT something to use it.

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have you used E85 since turning on the flex fuel option? Did you find more info on if the option even works at all on your truck?

OP
OP
wjoutlaw

wjoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you used E85 since turning on the flex fuel option? Did you find more info on if the option even works at all on your truck?
I put E85 fuel in the tank when I was at 1/2 tank of regular 87 Octane gas. I didn't notice anything different. I towed my small camper 120miles to my property to go camping last week. The truck performed fine, however, my MPG while towing the trailer was 11mpg.