Turbo housing adapters?+21HP and +17TQ increase at the rear wheels!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they actually make a pretty noticeable difference. I can't tell you exact numbers because I don't do dyno things.

Absolutely, without a doubt, get the stud removal tool and get a complete hardware kit.

Spray the turbo studs down with PB blaster or something the night before you're going to install them.

Go slow and don't twist the ratchet. certainly do not use power tools.

I had them on my truck, along with the mild steel SPD downpipes, for almost 2 years. I put them in after cracking a turbo housing and sheering the studs off a turbo with Cobb's downpipes.

I recently just removed them because I switched to SPD's new stainless downpipes, which have the adapters built into them. Otherwise, I would have left them on the truck.

SPD has been a really great company to work with. The new stainless pipes incorporate real-world feedback that I gave SPD after running their products for a few months.

The stainless pipes, which incorporate the adapters into them are stronger than the factory Ford option, and the mild steel pipes from SPD. They tuck up higher than both as well ( I needed this as my skids are tucked higher than stock)

SPD listens to its customers and is focused on customer service/experience. you'll be happy that you chose to do business with them.
Do you run the cat version or do they make a non-cat version of the all in one stainless set.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the SPD adaptors brand new in the box that I bought for my 2017 sitting in the garage. Was going to put them on but never got around to it and everyone started saying they make no difference. Maybe I will put them on my 19. Lol

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Do you run the cat version or do they make a non-cat version of the all in one stainless set.

catted. I'm not sure that they make a non-catted version in stainless as a stock item. It wouldn't shock me if they agreed to make you a set though. Give them a call.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
It totally makes sense. Here is a pic of the difference from stock opening.

Legit.

View attachment 162390

Yeah, but if you took a picture of the stock adapters vs the SPD version showing the other side of the adapters, it is really noticeable and apparent.

The SPD adapters have a smooth, wider chamfer/transition that makes a meaningful difference. I'd put money on the SPD adapters increasing flow by 10-15 percent at the initial turbo exit if you run them through a computational fluid dynamics model.

opinions may vary. they made a difference to me and the consumer experience that I've had with SPD has been refreshing.

I didn't come to debate, just to share my experience.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Everyone eyeballing them thinks that they "work" because they obviously have a slightly larger opening, so more "flow", right. That's what the ignorant people who don't really do any actual numbers testing of these types of devices as in the "Yeah, I could definitely feel it" type. The reputable people who installed and ran dyno testing confirmed a couple years ago that this bolt-on makes zero difference with stock turbos. The same applies to downpipes, no difference. The REASON why is that the STOCK turbo turbine and housing are the point of maximum "restriction" as it were, in the exhaust flow path.

You can spin the turbo harder and get a little more airflow, but it all comes with more exhaust back-pressure (in the manifold, not the pipes). When the exhaust pressure overcomes the intake pressure you have a big problem. Been there, done that and the engine doesn't like it at all. For those who want to prove it to themselves and have a datalogger device, just run a few logs of Airflow Mass before the adapters, then swap them out and run a few more logs afterwards. If you have done ANYTHING to increase airflow, then the Airflow Mass data will either prove or disprove it. DO IT and quit saying stupid shit.

This stupid topic has been beaten to death, hence my "here we go again" comment. If a search is done the plethora of useless posts will abound.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The above post is nothing but word salad horse shit trying to sound educated. You are guilty of what you are saying everyone else is guilty of. Post numbers and relevant data but don't try to sound like you know what you are talking about.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bigger opening sometimes means slower flow. Bigger isn’t always better. I’ve seen the tuners and dyno evidence saying it’s pointless but zombie is no dummy either. He’s not quite stock or street driving also so ymmv.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
The above post is nothing but word salad horse shit trying to sound educated. You are guilty of what you are saying everyone else is guilty of. Post numbers and relevant data but don't try to sound like you know what you are talking about.

Bless your ignorant heart niki. There isn’t enough attention span in here for any real data. If it doesn’t fit into 15 words or less, “people” can’t follow it. I do ALL my own work and tuning, so yeah, I know things. I don’t give it out unless I like you, and you’re not on my list... I told you how to find out the truth. If you’re too lazy to do the work then just ignore my posts. Oh sorry, that may be too much trouble for you as well.