Turbo chatter what’s going on with that

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
if you have a turbosmart BOV, that sound isn't a turbo, its the vacuum hose collapsing and making the fuel pressure vacuum module oscillate. does it sound like a crazy ticking that goes away when you blip the throttle?

The best solution is to run a full race throttle body spacer to move the BOV vac line to a dedicated one, then either replace the entire valve, or just the hose that you tee'd into when you installed the BOV.

Which reminds me, I ordered a whole new valve assembly and forgot to go get it from the dealer yesterday.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have a turbosmart BOV, that sound isn't a turbo, its the vacuum hose collapsing and making the fuel pressure vacuum module oscillate. does it sound like a crazy ticking that goes away when you blip the throttle?

The best solution is to run a full race throttle body spacer to move the BOV vac line to a dedicated one, then either replace the entire valve, or just the hose that you tee'd into when you installed the BOV.

Which reminds me, I ordered a whole new valve assembly and forgot to go get it from the dealer yesterday.

I’m all stock. It’s very loud and sounds like air is rushing out and loud high speed ticking. It can happen at boost or no boost. Then all of a sudden it abruptly stops. I can’t feel any performance loss. We just did a 2000 mile trip towing around 4500 lbs. I was just waiting for it to grenade but it just kept plowing ahead. Definitely concerning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Schnell

Reaction score
The dealer fixed mine ... well I did, traded in for a performance blue '19 w/ recaros, lol

Anyways, I did get the dealer to hear the noise and actually traded it in while it was in for service. They finally found it...it has a cracked exhaust manifold on the left side and a broken stud. They told me that it would take a few weeks to get the parts in, but as I said...traded it in.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it in. They found the issue. Something in the hubs/check valve/4WD system. They replaced both hubs. Said they’ve seen it a handful of times on Raptors. Covered by the power train warranty, but would have been $2500 to fix. The whooshing noice came from the check valve.

Heeblet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@zombiekiller thnx for your response. I had to learn what you just posted up there on my own. Did exact same thing, moved BOV to TB Spacer, replaced the T Tube w/ normal. The clicking is (mostly) gone w/ the TB Spacer.

However I still get intermittent compressor surge/Silly straw sound when letting OFF throttle, mostly at lower RPMs. Any ideas here?

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it in. They found the issue. Something in the hubs/check valve/4WD system. They replaced both hubs. Said they’ve seen it a handful of times on Raptors. Covered by the power train warranty, but would have been $2500 to fix. The whooshing noice came from the check valve.

i had it happen once when towing too. A whirring noise when I was in a pullout, idling. I wasn't in a great place to safely get out of the truck and diagnose, so cautiously continued. It hasn't happened since.

If the whirring/throbbing sound returns, I'll try to narrow down whether engine speed related, or a more precise location as it was really hard to hear over the highway traffic.

I assume you haven't had the noise come back after hubs/check valves?

Graybeard

Reaction score
This sounds like turbo failure to me as well.

A quick check for this can be done with the Forscan tool by to double checking the wastegate position. There is a specified range that the electronically controlled wastegate should be in. As these wear, eventually they fall out of spec. This is an integral design feature of these turbos, so if this wears out, you need new turbos. Supposedly designed around 100k miles for useful life.

Feel free to attempt to adjust the linkage to get them back into spec. But, if you can't... time for new turbos.

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same noise coming from my turbos. It’s especially loud when a really low speeds. I told the service advisor and he said it’s the waste gates. The worst part is that he said Ford is aware of this and won’t fix it.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the same noise coming from my turbos. It’s especially loud when a really low speeds. I told the service advisor and he said it’s the waste gates. The worst part is that he said Ford is aware of this and won’t fix it.
What noise? There are no "known" issues with the turbochargers. 2017 models had a TSB for wastegate rattle, but it wasn't detrimental to engine performance or longevity, just a noise concern.

Blkshp18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re wrong “my friend.” It may not be detrimental to engine performance yet, but it is annoying for the amount the truck costs. It shouldn’t be an issue in the first place “guy.”