Turbo chatter what’s going on with that

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Perez

Reaction score
I have a 2017 but my turbos are making the worst noise ever. It sounds like chattering while on just a few ponds of boost. Anyone ever heard of this going on
Please help thanks

moonjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it sounds like rattling then I think the consensus is the linkage on the waste gates. Ford says its normal but its annoying as hell.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
If it sounds like rattling then I think the consensus is the linkage on the waste gates. Ford says its normal but its annoying as hell.
No the waste gate won’t chatter until off boost. If it is doing it on boost might be the turbo? How about a video.

Ryan Renne

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue on my 18. The sound comes from the right side, I say it sounds like a weedwhacker or Honda Civic. Had it back at the dealer twice and they tried to say it was a vacuum hose which I had already replaced due to that horrible grinding sound it made. After 2 days at KG Ford, they gave it back to me saying it was fixed. Soon as I stepped on the gas, weedwhacker was back. The sound goes away when I get to around 40 mph. When I don't want to hear it I take off slow and get up to speed without the noise.

OP
OP
Michael Perez

Michael Perez

Reaction score
That’s exactly what it sounds like. I took it to the dealership and they said they wouldn’t work on it due to the cold air kit and turbo smart bov. So it seems now I’m pretty screwed?

My Schnell

Reaction score
So, I have the same exact noise except mine is from the left side only. Dealer had it for a week and could not find anything...don't think they tried to hard though.

I've described this as a whirling / whirring sound, but realized it sounds just like a weedwacker that is spinning a lower RPM. The truck is typically doing it at low boost and slightly accelerating. Cannot hear it at higher speeds due to road/tire noise. The weirdest thing is it seems to be intermittent ... it's fine (usually) when the engine is cold but still happens randomly. I usually hear it loudest after driving at a constant speed and then arriving at a light. After leaving the light/stop it seems to happen the most.

Anyways, hope to get this figured out...

MEATSWORD ... not the same noise (at least what I am hearing)

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s exactly what it sounds like. I took it to the dealership and they said they wouldn’t work on it due to the cold air kit and turbo smart bov. So it seems now I’m pretty screwed?

Sounds like you need to find a new dealer! Worse case, remove the CAI and TS bov before taking it in to the second dealer. They are not providing any HP gains, so you will not notice the difference other than the sounds they make.

FatBuoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any of you who have posted about this noise received confirmation that it’s a turbo? Mine started doing this intermittently on a long trip while towing. It can happen under acceleration, or deceleration. My concern is that it’s not going to do it when I take it in. Good news is that I have an extended warranty with no mods. Right at 50k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk