Tuning for off road pipes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience I know that if I get off-road pipe with the headers I'm planning on getting I will get a code for the lack of cats. Now on my GTO I just had it dyno tuned, and he shut off the rear O2 sensors to elimnate the code (So it passed smog). Is this the same concept with these Raptors? I'm new to the Ford world. So to put it simple, can I tune out the code when I get off road pipes? Are there handhelds out there that'll do this, or do I have to take it to a shop? I want off roads!

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting that it passed with the O2's off. In the Chrysler world the car wont go into OBDII Ready state with them turned off. And that means an immediate fail.

I don't see why you couldn't use an SCT to disable the O2s. Maybe ask 5star what they have to offer?

OP
OP
Q

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that it passed with the O2's off. In the Chrysler world the car wont go into OBDII Ready state with them turned off. And that means an immediate fail.

I don't see why you couldn't use an SCT to disable the O2s. Maybe ask 5star what they have to offer?

Yeah in the GM world you can just shut em off through tuning. You could also get plug in resistors to fool the PCM into thinking the O2's were there. Ill get with five star and see what they have to offer.

OP
OP
Q

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'll behave myself. Got the catted ones. Order placed tonight. Stainless works it is. Been three years since I've had some good headers, miss the ones i had on my goat.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good call qs. I ran catless for a while; the smell drove me crazy after a while.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Yeah in the GM world you can just shut em off through tuning. You could also get plug in resistors to fool the PCM into thinking the O2's were there. Ill get with five star and see what they have to offer.
On my G8, that wouldn't work with the OBD II emissions test they do here. You can only have one test show up "not ready", which I already get with high flow cats. The plug-in resistors are getting harder and harder to find as vendors are worried about legality.

OP
OP
Q

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my G8, that wouldn't work with the OBD II emissions test they do here. You can only have one test show up "not ready", which I already get with high flow cats. The plug-in resistors are getting harder and harder to find as vendors are worried about legality.

I'm not exactly sure how they test out here, I just know that my goat passed for years without cats. Big J, I love that smell! I'm trying to figure out what to feed my dogs to duplicate it so that their farts are bearable.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rear O2 can be turned off but will give a not ready for readiness monitors. SCT can allow you to change the valve at the rear O2 triggers a cat efficienticy light.

sent from ...... I don't know where I am.

OP
OP
Q

quicksinner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear O2 can be turned off but will give a not ready for readiness monitors. SCT can allow you to change the valve at the rear O2 triggers a cat efficienticy light.

sent from ...... I don't know where I am.

Good to know. I think we'll still pass our emissions tests out here with that setup. I'm not gonna be the one to find out though.