Tunes 101

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A custom tune means the tuner reviews datalogs, tweaks accordingly, gathers even more data, and repeats the process until completed.

Being on location and on the dyno in real life does NOT mean it's a real tune. Some of the worst tunes I've ever seen have been in person from someone who has no idea what they are doing. You'd be MUCH MUCH better off getting an etune from someone who knows the platform, than from someone who doesn't know the platform but can "tune" it just because they're in person plugging up to you truck.

You will get the same tune whether the tuner is in person or can email you a file online. Yes in person its faster, but it doesn't make it any better. And with the laptop in the wrong hands it can be way worse.

Here's a simple stage 2 truck I did, on 91oct.

View attachment 138987

View attachment 138988

yeah I can agree with that also- just because you get tuned on site @ a shop doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “better” than a remote custom tune- was just saying that’s my preference.

I know you use Cobbs software but are cutting custom tunes w/ the trans included so I’m not knocking your work by any means. I’ve seen the dyno sheets ;-)

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wondering your opinion of the Off-road alliance offering at $888 compared to the direct from Gearhead tuning package at $524 (without tow tune since I don’t tow much):

https://offroadalliance.com/product...d-b88114e25-_ss-r?_pos=2&_sid=93cd7dcf3&_ss=r

https://www.ghtuning.com/product/sct-40490-bdx-ford-programmer-17-19-3-5-raptor/

It kinda seems like I’d be paying $364 bucks for spark plugs.... not sure I understand the huge price difference.

I’m not 100% certain- I’ve done plenty of biz recently w/ ORA & don’t have anything but good reviews, very responsive & informative & ive personally met one of the owners & had work done on my Rap @ their MA shop. I went w/ Gearhead direct before ORA was even partnered w/ them & selling their packages. TBH I’m pretty sure I wound up spending around $650-$700 all in w/ tax & shipping buying from Gearhead direct & I went w/ the tow & performance tunes & the SCT BDX device (blue display) - I had already purchased pre-gapped SP542 plugs from MPT & they were around $60-80 if I remember correctly so all in not very far off the ORA package.

there may be some difference in the tunes themselves I see they note only 18 lbs peak boost I can personally attest I hit 22 psi occasionally w/ my own GH tune based on the data logging & watching it while driving. It doesn’t go that deep into boost very often or for very long.

I’ve been super impressed w/ the overall drive ability & manners w/ this tune though it’s smooth as butter & non-intrusive when just putting around but really wakes the F up when you are getting on it, & almost seems the more you’re caning it the more boost gets dialed in & the quicker/firmer the shifting.

also- when I was stock I would religiously put the truck in Sport mode immediately upon startup which requires very light throttle application to manipulate the power w/o being clunky & annoying around town- w/ the tune loaded I leave it in normal mode exclusively there’s really no need for sport IMO.

lastly- I reverted back to stock tune recently for some warranty work (non-driveline related but just wanted to be safe) & man....having experienced the “REAL” Raptor experience w/ a custom tune I can honestly say going back to stock & driving it around kinda sucked. That’s how much difference it is.

youre talking gains of +100hp/TQ to the rear wheels + SIGNIFICANT improvement in tranny behavior resulting in night & day performance/driving experience. I will literally tell strangers I meet driving a Raptor- if you don’t have a tune yet you’re missing out on the fill fledged Raptorlife lol

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
yeah I can agree with that also- just because you get tuned on site @ a shop doesn’t necessarily mean it’s “better” than a remote custom tune- was just saying that’s my preference.

I know you use Cobbs software but are cutting custom tunes w/ the trans included so I’m not knocking your work by any means. I’ve seen the dyno sheets ;-)

Yeah I get you.

Thanks man!

OP
OP
Troutrad

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not 100% certain- I’ve done plenty of biz recently w/ ORA & don’t have anything but good reviews, very responsive & informative & ive personally met one of the owners & had work done on my Rap @ their MA shop. I went w/ Gearhead direct before ORA was even partnered w/ them & selling their packages. TBH I’m pretty sure I wound up spending around $650-$700 all in w/ tax & shipping buying from Gearhead direct & I went w/ the tow & performance tunes & the SCT BDX device (blue display) - I had already purchased pre-gapped SP542 plugs from MPT & they were around $60-80 if I remember correctly so all in not very far off the ORA package.

there may be some difference in the tunes themselves I see they note only 18 lbs peak boost I can personally attest I hit 22 psi occasionally w/ my own GH tune based on the data logging & watching it while driving. It doesn’t go that deep into boost very often or for very long.

I’ve been super impressed w/ the overall drive ability & manners w/ this tune though it’s smooth as butter & non-intrusive when just putting around but really wakes the F up when you are getting on it, & almost seems the more you’re caning it the more boost gets dialed in & the quicker/firmer the shifting.

also- when I was stock I would religiously put the truck in Sport mode immediately upon startup which requires very light throttle application to manipulate the power w/o being clunky & annoying around town- w/ the tune loaded I leave it in normal mode exclusively there’s really no need for sport IMO.

lastly- I reverted back to stock tune recently for some warranty work (non-driveline related but just wanted to be safe) & man....having experienced the “REAL” Raptor experience w/ a custom tune I can honestly say going back to stock & driving it around kinda sucked. That’s how much difference it is.

youre talking gains of +100hp/TQ to the rear wheels + SIGNIFICANT improvement in tranny behavior resulting in night & day performance/driving experience. I will literally tell strangers I meet driving a Raptor- if you don’t have a tune yet you’re missing out on the fill fledged Raptorlife lol

Thanks a bunch! Really appreciate it.

REMIX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the nGauge need to stay hooked up? Or is it glitchy when loading tunes?

As far a the service department is concerned, is there someone you can usually ask if they tend to be lenient on tunes? I'd rather have an answer to that question before, and not after if/when there's a problem.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the nGauge need to stay hooked up? Or is it glitchy when loading tunes?

As far a the service department is concerned, is there someone you can usually ask if they tend to be lenient on tunes? I'd rather have an answer to that question before, and not after if/when there's a problem.

No. You can stow it away in the storage compartment or at home.

I haven't used it again after loading a tune.

You could load back the stock tune but apparently it's not undetectable that you had a tune.

RyanC

Reaction score
Back to the 87 vs 89 vs 91/93 octane I was all was under the impression that if driving normal ;) if that's possible octane could equate to MPG'S meaning if you spent more money on higher octane fuel you get more Mpg.