Tunes 101

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Troutrad

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d heard that the Cobb tune was pretty conservative and HP wasn’t as impressive as most of the other tunes. This can be a good thing if you don’t want to push the envelope but also doesn’t get me really excited either.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Gearhead tune & its is excellent out of the box. Auto adjusts for octane so you aren’t screwed if you find yourself without 91-93 on the road & are running a tune w/o a device handy.

offroad alliance offers a good deal w/ their ORA550 package includes a gearhead based tune + hard parts & your choice of device for loading.

All of this being said- personally I’d much prefer a “real” tune- meaning a performance shop hooks up to my truck in real life on a dyno doing multiple pulls/data logging the running it on the street w/ more data logging followed by a final retune back on the dyno. Full ecm/AF ratio/TCM tuning. The tranny adjustments on an automatic vehicle- especially a TEN speed, are significant. THAT is a custom tune & has been my go-to when nodding my GM V8 vehicles.

most performance shops are weary about putting full size trucks on dyno though due to fear of walking off or throwing a driveshaft- it has happened.

plus most people aren’t going “nuts” on trucks w/ performance mods like they are w/ stangs/camaro/vette/charger etc

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A custom tune means the tuner reviews datalogs, tweaks accordingly, gathers even more data, and repeats the process until completed.

Being on location and on the dyno in real life does NOT mean it's a real tune. Some of the worst tunes I've ever seen have been in person from someone who has no idea what they are doing. You'd be MUCH MUCH better off getting an etune from someone who knows the platform, than from someone who doesn't know the platform but can "tune" it just because they're in person plugging up to you truck.

You will get the same tune whether the tuner is in person or can email you a file online. Yes in person its faster, but it doesn't make it any better. And with the laptop in the wrong hands it can be way worse.

Here's a simple stage 2 truck I did, on 91oct.

Dyno 472whp 91oct.png

Carlos 2019 Raptor on Dyno.JPG

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A dyno simply can’t replicate how your vehicle loads the engine on pavement. If you get a dyno tune and they don’t take it on the street to dial it in for real you got hosed and will have a suboptimal tune, possibly even dangerous.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is very true! Some can get close but never spot on. You always have to double check things!

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a Gearhead tune & its is excellent out of the box. Auto adjusts for octane so you aren’t screwed if you find yourself without 91-93 on the road & are running a tune w/o a device handy.

offroad alliance offers a good deal w/ their ORA550 package includes a gearhead based tune + hard parts & your choice of device for loading.

All of this being said- personally I’d much prefer a “real” tune- meaning a performance shop hooks up to my truck in real life on a dyno doing multiple pulls/data logging the running it on the street w/ more data logging followed by a final retune back on the dyno. Full ecm/AF ratio/TCM tuning. The tranny adjustments on an automatic vehicle- especially a TEN speed, are significant. THAT is a custom tune & has been my go-to when nodding my GM V8 vehicles.

most performance shops are weary about putting full size trucks on dyno though due to fear of walking off or throwing a driveshaft- it has happened.

plus most people aren’t going “nuts” on trucks w/ performance mods like they are w/ stangs/camaro/vette/charger etc

And let me make it clear that I am in no way bashing, just clearing up etuning vs in person dyno tuning.

Both can be great if the person knows what they are doing. Gear head does so them etuning your truck wouldn’t be an issue either and can still be considered a real tune.

OP
OP
Troutrad

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Wondering your opinion of the Off-road alliance offering at $888 compared to the direct from Gearhead tuning package at $524 (without tow tune since I don’t tow much):

https://offroadalliance.com/product...d-b88114e25-_ss-r?_pos=2&_sid=93cd7dcf3&_ss=r

https://www.ghtuning.com/product/sct-40490-bdx-ford-programmer-17-19-3-5-raptor/

It kinda seems like I’d be paying $364 bucks for spark plugs.... not sure I understand the huge price difference.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ask offroad alliance. They’re very responsive and supportive on this forum.