Tuner advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@B E N interesting, i'll definitely look pay attention to my truck to see if some of those issues come up.

so far you've been happy with your JDM tune?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh my bad. Does the stage one bring power up that high or is that a total number possible? I am guessing that the Whipple is your choice between the two screws.
First, I see you still want a more aggressive sound with the exhaust.
My suggestion is to remove the resonator that sits between the Y-pipe and the muffler.
It's one of the the cheapest mod you'll do, LOL
It would give it a little more growl but some say it will increase the drone a little.
The 2010 1/2 6.2L doesn't come with the resonator, I personally like the way the truck sounds.
And for me, I do not get the drone in the cab because of the Bed Rug and the Bed Cover.

Now!
Forget the Stage 1, it is cheaper to get the Stage II right out of the gate than upgrading to the Stage II later on.
The Stage 1 was a 600 to 650 fwhp package depending on mods. Not even sure if they sell that any longer.

I am Whipple all the way, but don't get me wrong the Roush is ok, "if" you do all the upgrades for the Roush Stage II kit.
And then you'll be close to the power level of a base Stage II kit from Whipple for the same cost.
It's just you get more out of the Whipple.
And I'm still using the Gen 2 Whipple compressor, Whipple just came out last year with the Gen 4 compressor for the Stage II kit.
The Gen 4 compressor is 15% more efficient and better low end boost.

Here's a little eye candy, LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blue blood

Reaction score
Thank you guys especially MTF. Somewhere I was reading to leave the resonator in and remove the muffler instead. Does it make a difference in the sound or drone? I think I will save up for the Whipple. Do the rest at a later date. So with the blower and related parts and tuning and installation I can expect to pay in the range of $10,000 to $12,000?

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Blue blood I can jump in here with my experience, as I have done both NA and SC mods.

My 2013 I had planned to run hard off road and wanted to keep in NA. First mods were intake, exhaust and tune.

-First try was Borla XS muffler replacing stocker. Gave a little nicer sound but was actually pretty quiet.
- CAI. Made more intake noise, no difference in power. If you are doing any hard off road, don't bother. The stock flat paper element will support up to 500hp
- Custom Tune. Buddy of mine does lots of turbo & LS builds so he built a tune for me and did it on the Dyno. Funny thing, when we had it on the rack it made 2 more HP with stock airbox and panel filter VS the CAI ..lol see above.
-Next we cut out the XS and ran straight 3 inch all the way out leaving resonator. No Drone, loud when you romp on it, but civil just driving around
-Removed Resi and added a small straight thru with a dump before axle. Could not stand the noise and drone, added the resi back in and never touched it again

After those mods, I started working on wheels/tires suspension but ended up selling it for really good money, and I sat patiently waiting for the 2017 to arrive.
Took 1 test drive in the Gen 2 and cancelled my order!!!

Spent a year looking for a 2014 and found a Roush.
I bought a low mileage 2014 all stock street queen.
Very first mod was a call to JDM to talk to Jim and get their blower tune.
At the same I did the plugs/wires etc.
I would have had my buddy do a custom tune, but he has since moved away, and I wanted a trustworthy baseline. All my attention has since been put into the suspension and playing

In Hindsight, I would have rather kept the 13 I ordered from new, and just saved my money on all the other shit and done a supercharger. I may have gone the whipple route, but in all honesty the Roush TVS works great on a daily drive.
There is no comparison between the two truck on or off road.

OP
OP
B

Blue blood

Reaction score
I have no experience with gen 2 raptors but the couple guys I have talked to that have had both always say they liked the gen 1 better. I know the gen 2 is lighter and more powerful but with the six you lose that v8 sound. The sound really helps make the truck more muscular.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have no experience with gen 2 raptors but the couple guys I have talked to that have had both always say they liked the gen 1 better. I know the gen 2 is lighter and more powerful but with the six you lose that V8 sound. The sound really helps make the truck more muscular.

While I didn't care for the sound, it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I had put a deposit down to hold one at the dealer I had originally ordered my 13 from. They had one of the biggest allocations when that system was needed to get one, so they were one of the first dealers to have the Gen 2 come in. The GM is my friend, so he had one as his Demo, and that's the one I test drove.

He had already put 5-600 miles on it when I drove it, and it left an oil stain in my driveway when he came to pick me up..LMAO
500 miles and It had the ****** leaking plastic oil pan. Not a great first impression.
On the test drive the 10 speed was hunting all over the place for the proper gear. I know they have since worked the transmission programming out, but this was what it was like on a lot of the early ones. I also felt that the rear shock layout that was supposed to help wheel hop, made the rear end feel skittish in corners. I hit an expansion joint on an on ramp that nearly spun the ass end completely around. The rear was less planted for sure. The 44psi the dealer had in the tires certainly didnt help.
Also, I wasn't crazy on the new body style, but was really impressed with the look and feel of the interior VS the Gen 1.
After the test drive, I decided that I would pull back my order and see if the first 6 months of production would show this new truck to be superior to my Gen 1 or expose all the flaws. I feel that I made the right choice, and went on the hunt for my next Gen 1..

OP
OP
B

Blue blood

Reaction score
May be going a different direction after researching different options. The Livernois cam package has a great sound. I have old school motors with large cams 427 big block and 302 small block. I love the lope in the idle and the power at higher rpm is impressive. Only read one review on the cams but the post was dealing with other issues as well. Anyone out there with this cam package want to give some advice?