Tune plus downpipes, worth it??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're arrogant and condescending posts destroy your credibility. Bringing the politics into this situation.... Really?

I get what you're saying. It does sound like you know what you're talking about. But just because you say something doesn't make it a fact. I can say all kinds of things and be pissed off when someone doesn't take it for gospel.

And no, it's not obvious. If it was obvious then this discussion would be nonexistent.

Yeah, understand. Had to use it for reference since nothing else was working. There's definitely a particular characteristic associated with people who refuse to accept something obvious.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're arrogant and condescending posts destroy your credibility. …..
......And no, it's not obvious. If it was obvious then this discussion would be nonexistent.

I only sound arrogant and condescending to the stupid people, and my credibility is simply the facts. Take it or leave it, but don't say it isn't true. It should be obvious to anyone who is actually paying attention to their own vehicle. If you question the facts presented, get off your ass and go check out your own shit to verify. Otherwise, it's just one guy with facts based on reality and the deniers who's information is based on pure marketing ********.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So because you are a self-proclaimed expert I should take everything you say as fact? Just because you say so? I absolutely question the "fact" that the stock downpipes are adequate. The stock adapter and inlet size at the turbo is smaller than the turbo outlet. Have you taken off and actually looked at the stock downpipes? Have you replaced the downpipes and dynoed the results? Then how do you know the exhaust is optimized? https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/stock-downpipe-size-comparison.60335/

You sound arrogant and condescending when you blindly label someone as a liberal and start generalizing the person solely because they don't agree with you.

http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/a-technical-discussion-of-intakes-and-turbocharging/
http://www.superstreetonline.com/ho...dakis-racings-1000hp-4-cylinder-drift-engine/
http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/does-a-downpipe-make-a-difference-on-a-stock-turbo-mazdaspeed3/

I only sound arrogant and condescending to the stupid people, and my credibility is simply the facts. Take it or leave it, but don't say it isn't true. It should be obvious to anyone who is actually paying attention to their own vehicle. If you question the facts presented, get off your ass and go check out your own shit to verify. Otherwise, it's just one guy with facts based on reality and the deniers who's information is based on pure marketing ********.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we have been through this on other threads as it relates to bolt ons and more power, hp, etc. There is a lot of conflicting information honestly. i think Fordza knows his shit, and his logic makes some sense to me. But he does come off arrogant and rubs people the wrong way which hurts his credibility. But there are still others who do claim power gains from add ons. The tune is by far the best, and absolutely works very well. I did all the add ons and i notice a difference after just the tune. Could it "perceived" or placebo, maybe. Do companies market shit to sell it, absolutely! Someone needs to do a before and after dyno run using the tune on both, and then adding the adapters, downpipe, intercooler, and exhaust. Then post it to settle it. I have smart mechanics telling me there are significant gains, and the eye ball test would lend to that as well. But that doesnt mean a thing. Real data is the way to prove it. Someone please just do it to settle the debate. i did exactly that on my 13 and have the drastic increases to prove it. But this is a totally different truck and engine. What I do know the tune (MPT 93 PRX) is awesome! The exhaust definitley sounds better. The intercooler works to help the truck run more efficiently(i am in houston-hot as hell here) and stay cooler. As for gains in power we have lots of folks with different opinions. Someone just do it and settle it.....PLEASE!!!!!

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rrrrrrrrrrrr
So we have been through this on other threads as it relates to bolt ons and more power, hp, etc. There is a lot of conflicting information honestly. i think Fordza knows his shit, and his logic makes some sense to me. But he does come off arrogant and rubs people the wrong way which hurts his credibility. But there are still others who do claim power gains from add ons. The tune is by far the best, and absolutely works very well. I did all the add ons and i notice a difference after just the tune. Could it "perceived" or placebo, maybe. Do companies market shit to sell it, absolutely! Someone needs to do a before and after dyno run using the tune on both, and then adding the adapters, downpipe, intercooler, and exhaust. Then post it to settle it. I have smart mechanics telling me there are significant gains, and the eye ball test would lend to that as well. But that doesnt mean a thing. Real data is the way to prove it. Someone please just do it to settle the debate. i did exactly that on my 13 and have the drastic increases to prove it. But this is a totally different truck and engine. What I do know the tune (MPT 93 PRX) is awesome! The exhaust definitley sounds better. The intercooler works to help the truck run more efficiently(i am in houston-hot as hell here) and stay cooler. As for gains in power we have lots of folks with different opinions. Someone just do it and settle it.....PLEASE!!!!!

well said , something i was hoping to see, some data. as i have had huge gains with other cars with stock turbos and tune plus cat delete. forzda can very well be damn right about the gains not being very good but i still want to see data , i guess il stick with my tune and do my other mods for now until i see some proven results that its worth it on this truck.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
rrrrrrrrrrrr

well said , something i was hoping to see, some data. as i have had huge gains with other cars with stock turbos and tune plus cat delete. forzda can very well be damn right about the gains not being very good but i still want to see data , i guess il stick with my tune and do my other mods for now until i see some proven results that its worth it on this truck.

I am in the same boat. I held off on several of the engine bolt-on mods until there is better proof. I would like to compare the $$ to HP for the CAIs, DPs and hi-flow cats before I spend my money.

I added the SPD TAs and a Flowmaster FlowFX muffler for the sound benefits and their relatively low cost compared to some of the other options.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes this is certainly a possibility. Please also note that anything less than ~10hp is considered within the dyno's margin of error as well, so not worth your time/money. Although the cat may "look" blocked by the honeycomb structure, it definitely is NOT blocked. If you measure the mass of the honeycomb and subtract it from the cat diameter, the remaining area is going to be as large as the turbo turbine outlet. The REAL restriction in a turbo setup is the size of the turbine housing and the turbine blade anyway.

In several turbo applications, replacing the downpipe with aftermarket actually has not only resulted in no power gain, it lost a few HP as well. Even when tuned for maximum boost from the turbo.

you right about that, in my experience the cats have been a big restricting factor, as some cars have 4 cats even or more. and i never have changed anything until i see proven data on numbers, i wont waste time and money to make my car louder just because it will sound faster i want it to actually have good gains. these days though with newer tech, you never know if its worth changing things. thanks for your input.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the other thread that was Fordza'a point. The new technology on the Gen 2's meant the upgrades really were ineffective. Except of course the tune. My mechanic, who is very up to date and in the know told me there still are quite a bit of cumulative gains to be had for sure. Especially intercooler, downpipe, adapters, and exhaust. When comparing the diameter, sizing, etc of the old parts to new stuff i installed the eye ball test shows significant differences. Whether that translates into power is another story. Companies selling this stuff sure want you to think so. There was another guy posting on the other thread in support of some of Fordza's info which to me was compelling enough to listen to. My educated guess is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I am sure there are some small gains, but may certainly not be worth the cost of the stuff. But the intercooler to me has multiple purposes, especially here in hot as balls Houston. The extra cooling has to be beneficial. And i have to believe there is some benefit from larger more robust exit downpipe and exhaust. Someone just needs to post some results. Too late for me. All my stuff is on it.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
…. Someone just needs to post some results. Too late for me. All my stuff is on it.

There are many drag strips around Texas. Although it wouldn't be definitive proof, you could attend a test-n-tune event or similar and get some 1/4 times/mph for your truck. You have the MPT tune same as me, so it would be a reasonable comparison.

Edit: well, not with the 37" tires though. Oh well, it would make good discussion points though!