Tune plus downpipes, worth it??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your take on the "quite large" sizing of the stock downpipes? I measured them at about 2.25'' ID. The turbo adapters were 2" ID. I agree that the bends don't seem too dramatic. I wish I would have kept my stock downpipes to cut the cats open and take a look at them.

I don't have stock dyno numbers but I'm currently looking around town to do a current dyno. Still waiting for the next open track night in town to get a baseline.

Most aftermarket turbo exhaust/downpipe options I've seen are 3''. When I was younger I had a Neon SRT-4. Ran a 13.8ish @ 99 stock. FMIC, downpipes/catback, boost controller, and intake it ran 12.8 @ 107. Never got it dyno'ed before but putting in the exhaust components there was a definite seat of the pants increase in power.

Ok, I'm done attempting to address the "consensus" of opinions with facts. It is a lost cause.

Similar to the carbon-caused global warming, now climate change insanity. The "consensus" of the main-stream (read Gov't paid) scientists, and I use the word scientist very loosely there, will not be swayed by the facts. Their own data proves them wrong, but that doesn't affect their goal of getting more money to "study" it.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks forzda I haven't have time to get my truck on the lift and check everything out under it yet so I have no clue how it looks. Your probably right that it doesn't restrict as much airflow, but I think with a tune and higher boost if changing to none catted it would definitely add more power than with a stock tune, the question stands though how many.. Im surprised vendors aren't doing this to sell their product and showing results for them, or like you said it may be small numbers under 10hp that you will never feel.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your take on the "quite large" sizing of the stock downpipes? I measured them at about 2.25'' ID. The turbo adapters were 2" ID. I agree that the bends don't seem too dramatic. I wish I would have kept my stock downpipes to cut the cats open and take a look at them.

I don't have stock dyno numbers but I'm currently looking around town to do a current dyno. Still waiting for the next open track night in town to get a baseline.

Most aftermarket turbo exhaust/downpipe options I've seen are 3''. When I was younger I had a Neon SRT-4. Ran a 13.8ish @ 99 stock. FMIC, downpipes/catback, boost controller, and intake it ran 12.8 @ 107. Never got it dyno'ed before but putting in the exhaust components there was a definite seat of the pants increase in power.

Thanks bud gettin a dyno done would certainly be cool maybe those dyno places have had stock raptor runs before that they can share with you since every dyno reads differently.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
….. it may be small numbers under 10hp that you will never feel.

Yes this is certainly a possibility. Please also note that anything less than ~10hp is considered within the dyno's margin of error as well, so not worth your time/money. Although the cat may "look" blocked by the honeycomb structure, it definitely is NOT blocked. If you measure the mass of the honeycomb and subtract it from the cat diameter, the remaining area is going to be as large as the turbo turbine outlet. The REAL restriction in a turbo setup is the size of the turbine housing and the turbine blade anyway.

In several turbo applications, replacing the downpipe with aftermarket actually has not only resulted in no power gain, it lost a few HP as well. Even when tuned for maximum boost from the turbo.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I'm done attempting to address the "consensus" of opinions with facts. It is a lost cause.

Similar to the carbon-caused global warming, now climate change insanity. The "consensus" of the main-stream (read Gov't paid) scientists, and I use the word scientist very loosely there, will not be swayed by the facts. Their own data proves them wrong, but that doesn't affect their goal of getting more money to "study" it.
Funny since you've presented no facts.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My facts are spread through the this thread and others on the subject. Just because you don’t comprehend doesn’t mean they’re not there. Another liberal tactic is to ask the same question over and over when not agreeing with the answers. If you ask the same shit often enough there will be other less knowledgeable people to provide the answer you want to hear. If I said the earth was a sphere, you would challenge it as flat and sure as shit stinks you would get people who agree. There is no fixing stupid. It transcends all other disorders of the brain.

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My facts are spread through the this thread and others on the subject. Just because you don’t comprehend doesn’t mean they’re not there. Another liberal tactic is to ask the same question over and over when not agreeing with the answers. If you ask the same shit often enough there will be other less knowledgeable people to provide the answer you want to hear. If I said the earth was a sphere, you would challenge it as flat and sure as shit stinks you would get people who agree. There is no fixing stupid. It transcends all other disorders of the brain.

You sounded very credible till you started including irrelevant political views. Now I’m not sure what to believe anymore. Fake news? [emoji6]

18 SCrew Magnetic, Whipple tuned.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, understand. Had to use it for reference since nothing else was working. There's definitely a particular characteristic associated with people who refuse to accept something obvious.