Tune plus downpipes, worth it??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but what’s funny...

Her Maserati sounds cool to her!

Your truck.... well... it just is a noisy truck.

Lol

And you know MGD.... if someone could come up with an aggressive tone that isn’t quite as loud as what I have now... with high flow cats... I’d absolutely be on board.

Guy

I agree with you here. Not the normal sound you would expect from a truck but it kinda grows on you. Was very hesitant but now I like it.

I can relate on the cold start up, wife drives a Maserati QP and it is very loud when cold starting and waiting to warm up. She did comment when she heard my truck start up that I was trying to be like hers. Lol

BTW, love the Evora. I have seen a few on the track in the UK and was impressed with them. I may at some point build one as a track car. Very well built cars.

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put AFE down pipes on, not sure how much hp gained but with everything else I’ve did to it if a stock raptor wanted to race he would being reading Ford on my tailgate as it faded further and further away

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm still waitin to get results on how much hp /tq do you gain with non catted or high flow catted dps . Was hoping I'd find the answer here but came up empty

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I'm still waitin to get results on how much hp /tq do you gain with non catted or high flow catted dps . Was hoping I'd find the answer here but came up empty

keep pushing for other people to be guinea pigs for you and spoon feed you info on their dime, im sure youll get some feedback eventually.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep pushing for other people to be guinea pigs for you and spoon feed you info on their dime, im sure youll get some feedback eventually.

how am i pushing anyone to do anything? put some glasses on. if you havent noticed there are plenty that have done the mod already, i just want to know how much power it adds to see if its worth it for me to do or not. i have always shared my info on the forums with my mods /dyno sheets etc for others to see on my other cars. thats what the forums are for....

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the problem is that no one really wants to dyno or otherwise put valid numbers on their "modified" shit. There is a way too strong chance that they will be supremely disappointed and take a ton of shit if they post it. Maybe they do have dyno/numbers and will never post it because it makes them look stupid. It is always safe to say it "feels" or "sounds" "better" though.

I'm a firm believer in aftermarket parts with much actual experience with direct-injection turbocharged engines since 2007. The downpipe is generally the FIRST item to change. Mostly because of packaging constraints and the requirement to get the catalytic converter as close as possible to the turbine outlet. The goofy looking down-pipe cat combinations are significantly turbulent and if you replace it the engine WILL have better exhaust flow into the first 18" or so of the pipe. Generally this will allow for a bit of tuning to bring up the power output IF done properly. I've changed (me, not some shop) the downpipe(s) on every turbo car I've owned almost immediately in preparation for the bigger turbo that always followed.

Now, the Raptor exhaust. Take the time to really inspect the turbos and downpipe area thoroughly. What you find is that the piping is very straight out of the manifold, into the turbine and out of the turbine into the in-line cats. There are no goofy contortions to fit into a tight engine bay. The pipe diameter is quite large with relatively mild turns straight through the cats. What that says is that unless you're going for significantly more turbine output flow (bigger turbo, not just more boost through the stock turbine housing, the downpipes aren't doing anything worthwhile for engine output.

If you really "know your shit", you'll see that the downpipes are NOT holding back the stock turbos.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the OEM cats that are the bottle neck, not the pipe design/routing.

Yes they WERE a "bottle-neck", about 30 years ago. Current catalytic converters are straight-through honeycomb structured and produce no actual flow restrictions UNLESS they're literally melted from running too hot. It happens with any amount of leaded fuel, some aftermarket fuel additives, and very high zinc motor oils. Too many people are still drinking the coolaid from what WAS a real issue around 3 decades ago.

Notice that the Raptor cats are straight-through and 4-times the diameter of the exhaust pipe so they do NOT "restrict" the exhaust flow. Damn, I should go into business selling these aftermarket products because the consuming public are so damned ignorant.

The only way the marketeer's get away with the ******** advertising is that their claims COULD be true under certain conditions. They do NOT have to provide that part of the functional details though, only the part that convinces you to buy their shit.

I'm not saying the aftermarket parts don't work pretty much as stated, but certainly not in the raptor's case for sure. If the turbos are stock, then ALL the aftermarket parts do are lighten your wallet and provide bling for the hoods-popped, rev 'em up mall crowd.

You're not the type, right? Cowboy hats, skoal tin imprints on their jeans pocket, and trucks lifted so high, they need a step ladder to reach the door sill and the truck would roll over if actually making a quick turn... Surely not, right?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Notice that the Raptor cats are straight-through and 4-times the diameter of the exhaust pipe so they do NOT "restrict" the exhaust flow. Damn, I should go into business selling these aftermarket products because the consuming public are so damned ignorant.

IIRC the OEM cats are 1500 cel - quite dense. If you think there is zero restriction then keep on keepin on.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm done attempting to address the "consensus" of opinions with facts. It is a lost cause.

Similar to the carbon-caused global warming, now climate change insanity. The "consensus" of the main-stream (read Gov't paid) scientists, and I use the word scientist very loosely there, will not be swayed by the facts. Their own data proves them wrong, but that doesn't affect their goal of getting more money to "study" it.