Tune needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJordanWise

Reaction score
0B4C2A12-EBCD-4C9E-81B7-9D43DB6DCD37.jpeg
List of performance parts installed is attached. I am not the owner that installed these parts but am in the process of selling the truck and a potential buyer is saying he would be very wary to buy if not tuned saying “That truck is inevitably running extremely rich given the downpipes and delete, and I couldn't guarantee it isn't so much so that it isn't getting into the cylinders and rings and washing them clean of lubrication.”

Is any of the above true with these trucks? I have not owned that long and I was very hopeful this guy was the right buyer. Tough market right now. ‍♂️

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The only mod there with any significant potential to uncork more HP is the catted downpipes. The res. delete cosmetic for sound. I don't think anyone here has posted before/after numbers on a set of downpipes. The thermostat will lower the operating temp under normal to moderate load. Cat backs on the Raptor are just expensive noise. Some people prefer the added noise, some don't. The turbo adapters are similarly unproven on the Raptor - that is, back to back dyno runs without and then with the adapters. Many have them, and it looks like they --should-- be less restriction but it's best to think of an engine as a propulsion system comprised of many components rather than an assemblage of parts that you can upgrade one at a time.

Honestly, I don't think downpipes and a t-stat would make enough of a difference to require tuning to be safe. There may very well be unrealized hp / tq there as a result of not tuning it, but it doesn't look like enough of a change. The exhaust should have significantly less backpressure with the downpipes and turbo adapters.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are getting a check engine light, the ECM is able to compensate for all of your add-ons. Even if you were getting a change in fuel/air mixture within the engine, it would be slightly leaner, not richer, as the exhaust improvements allow the exhaust to be scavenged better/faster from the cylinders, but again, if the ECM is adjusting more fuel it is getting a lean reading from the downstream exhaust O2 sensors and compensating to keep the engine in the correct air/fuel mixture.