Tuff Jug gas cans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
puddle hunter

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem!

One thing... if you buy a "gas can" in California its got to be CARB approved. Meaning its got a bunch of garbage on it and hoops you need to jump thru just to use it, all designed to supposedly prevent fumes from escaping. In reality, what ends up happening is all that extra spring loaded plastic crap leaks almost always not only dumping 4x the fumes but also wasting gas and stinkin up your bed in the process. Been there, done that.

The beauty of those opaque Tuff Jugs? They're general purpose ATV/Dirtbike "utility" cans, meant for off road use only. They don't have to conform to the CARB requirement... you know... because they're "utility" cans.

In other words, they're legally purchasable gas cans that aint supposed to be used as gas cans. Follow?

That is VERY worth the added cost...

A-HA!!! GOTCHA!!! Didn't even think about that. So that cap on the clear jugs is just a cap, no funnel neck, no rubber hose... just a lid. Awesome! Now I've just gotta find a decent cycle shop nearby to see if they carry 'em.

GRT4DRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got mine at Outlaw.... bought the caps at a Kawasaki shop in Burbank.

Attachments

• IMAG0276.jpg
    IMAG0276.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 161

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A-HA!!! GOTCHA!!! Didn't even think about that. So that cap on the clear jugs is just a cap, no funnel neck, no rubber hose... just a lid. Awesome! Now I've just gotta find a decent cycle shop nearby to see if they carry 'em.

Yessir! Tuff Jug even send's them with a handy dandy "rubber" gasket that "should" seal that cap up nice and tight :)

(I've had mine full of gas or E85 or over two years now, and while there is some discoloration around the mouth of the bottle, the gasket is still in like new condition. If they were truly only rubber, they'd have been eaten up a few months after the first gas went in. Just take a quick look each time you fill the can, and make sure they're still in good shape.)

Another quick bit of advice: don't bother popping a hole in the breather or removing the plug from the cap. You'll see what I mean. There's no need to pop the breather because you'll be removing the cap when using them.

By the way, is this the first time you've stored gas? If so, consider...

-gasoline expands with temperature. Those Tuff Jugs are tough, but if you leave them in some heat, they'll balloon out. I've never had one fail, but its kind of annoying since they roll some on the balloon rounded bottom instead of staying put on their normally flat bottom. Still though, these Tuff Jugs hold their shape better than any other can I've tried to date.

-you need to rotate stored gas often. I wouldn't go more than 1 month without using it. Some say you can go up to 6mo if its tightly sealed to keep water out. You make the call.

-it stinks. Ohhhhh does it stink. Even with everything sealed up and no leaks, you can tell I'm carrying gas from outside the truck. If you're going to carry food and those gas cans in the same location (bed of the truck?) make very sure all food is tightly sealed. We ruined an entire cooler's worth of food once because we didn't seal everything in ziploc bags; all the food ended up tasting like gas.

Just some stuff to know, so you're not worried or surprised. I don't carry gas anymore because of these reasons (I carry E85 instead which travels sooooo much better, but I realize that's not an option for ya :()

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
CARB is targeting "utility" jugs now. They have already shut down PU Products (My favorite jug). The VP Jugs are pretty good, and if you live in Texas (Or are driving in for a raptor run) Bucee's gas station sells them. You need to stop at Bucee's anyways, that place is the greatest gas station on earth. Other cool feature of the VP and PU Products jugs is that the filler hose has a nipple with a cap on the end, and it just happens to fit perfectly in the Raptor filler without a stupid funnel.

http://www.bucees.com/

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
CARB is targeting "utility" jugs now. They have already shut down PU Products (My favorite jug). The VP Jugs are pretty good, and if you live in Texas (Or are driving in for a raptor run) Bucee's gas station sells them. You need to stop at Bucee's anyways, that place is the greatest gas station on earth. Other cool feature of the VP and PU Products jugs is that the filler hose has a nipple with a cap on the end, and it just happens to fit perfectly in the Raptor filler without a stupid funnel.

http://www.bucees.com/

You better call them and let them know everyone is heading that way. To stock up on those for us.. :D

-Greg

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
clear jugs will allow the octane to drop from sitting in the sun.

I've got VP racing jugs for drag racing for my C16 and always use dark colored ones. Don't want to sacrafice any octane in that application. Not as easy to see the level on, but when I'm filling it up I can clearly see inside the jug to see how full it is, and when I'm pouring it in the truck I'm pouring the entire thing in, so it's never been a problem.

Also be aware of what color the jug is. A lot of gas stations are pretty strict and won't let you fuel up fuel jugs if they aren't red.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
clear jugs will allow the octane to drop from sitting in the sun.

I've got VP racing jugs for drag racing for my C16 and always use dark colored ones. Don't want to sacrafice any octane in that application. Not as easy to see the level on, but when I'm filling it up I can clearly see inside the jug to see how full it is, and when I'm pouring it in the truck I'm pouring the entire thing in, so it's never been a problem.
Hmm... no argument that gasoline exposed to sunlight (UV) will degrade, but that's not a function of translucency; in other words, leave out a red jug and unless the plastic has been specifically treated to block UV, the gas inside going to degrade as well.

As a general rule, you want to keep ALL gas containers out of direct sunlight.

Also be aware of what color the jug is. A lot of gas stations are pretty strict and won't let you fuel up fuel jugs if they aren't red.
Interesting. Makes sense, but I haven't had any issue whatsoever. In California, we pump our own gas and the (usually only) gas attendant is in the quickimart well out of eyesight.