TSB #2198 Raptor/Tremor Specific)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like someone else might have had a turbo failure in the FB group, they shared this pic which I think is pretty crazy. I would 100% check your air inlet / deflector if you haven’t yet and save yourself the headache of replacing some turbos. Hoping the new fasteners I put on hold.
5D347B0A-5E15-4286-8E24-9278B3B653D2.jpeg

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like someone else might have had a turbo failure in the FB group, they shared this pic which I think is pretty crazy. I would 100% check your air inlet / deflector if you haven’t yet and save yourself the headache of replacing some turbos. Hoping the new fasteners I put on hold.
View attachment 370893
Holy crap. Who engineers these things? Wonder if that was from shutting the hood or did it bend like that while driving?

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. Who engineers these things? Wonder if that was from shutting the hood or did it bend like that while driving?
This is probably from the force of the intake, it’s enough that it was able to pull up my christmas tree fasteners 1/4 of the way and they are pretty hard to remove as is. After they are off fully I can see this happening pretty easy since it’s just floppy rubber, more restriction more force as well.

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably from the force of the intake, it’s enough that it was able to pull up my christmas tree fasteners 1/4 of the way and they are pretty hard to remove as is. After they are off fully I can see this happening pretty easy since it’s just floppy rubber, more restriction more force as well.
Yeah, I’ll definitely keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The force of the intake rips it out of the Christmas tree fasteners. I caught mine doing it while back.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Props to Cobb for making a fix to Ford’s terrible design. Even with my replaced push pins I believe mine was becoming restricted at WOT. I also tossed my deflector in the junk pile and going to run without it, it was the old design. Definitely recommend checking your inlet and save your turbos. Cobb has a cool video of it showing the collapse real time as well.
7547A0AD-0363-431A-8EAF-DF9B2B8D8F26.jpeg

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like the actual air filter box is a terrible design also? I've changed my air filter twice now, and it seems as if it fits together better without the filter. I posted about this in the rough idle thread, but didn't get any responses. Pull your filter and put the box back together without it, and it all snaps into place flush. With the filter installed, it seems as if it's difficult to get it to fit flush correctly. I've installed a ton of different air filters in different vehicles, but something about this one seems off?

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was the change from Gen 2 to Gen 3 that caused this?
I think it was a few things, the deflector was more restrictive (now redesigned for later 2022 builds), the switch to Christmas tree style pins instead of locking fasteners (corrected for later 2022 builds), and possible change in the hood clearance that created more restriction.

CF7E91E4-76EC-4345-BC70-350100B58E2F.jpeg

What’s crazy to me is Ford knew it was a problem thus released a TSB to fix only after major turbo failure. Why not just be proactive and tell us there is a problem that’s easily fixable before it creates turbo failure.

Video showing how it collapses: