Trying to decide between FX4/Ecoboost and Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Likes the Raptor styling but drives 200 to 400 miles per day. Is it possible to put some really tall gears in the Raptor rear end - that can be changed out if ever do any serious off-roading?

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Likes the Raptor styling but drives 200 to 400 miles per day. Is it possible to put some really tall gears in the Raptor rear end - that can be changed out if ever do any serious off-roading?

That sounds like it'd be a huge pain.
I'd say you'd be better off with the raptor and a super cheap old civic for long distance driving if you're worried about has $$

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Being from northern Montana I would say stick with raptor. The ego boost comes w small 4ply tires and as soon as you put decent shoes on there goes power and mileage. I personally don't like the power band Eco boost has but that is me. We average 15-16 highway over all the passes and it's pretty consistent. Winter and rutted roads far better to have raptor. I have driven Eco boost in winter and I just don't like them really but to each there own. Good luck on a decision.

OP
OP
V

//V

Reaction score
Yeah I've pretty much decided the raptor will be the one. I've been reading more about the ecoboost and it's enough to scare me honestly. Fuel economy reports are all over the place even on stock models and it makes it sound like Ford has a bit more work to do to get this engine dialed in.

As long as the raptor gets decent miles with a light foot, it's good enough. I'm concerned about fuel economy, but only to a point. My company reimburses me for miles driven, but I have to average around 15mpg on the highway or I end up paying out of pocket for my business related travel. My Audi gets great mileage but I'm a tall guy and it's just not comfortable for long distances, not to mention, hauling gear and the dog is a pain.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know what type of Raptor you decide on //V.

And as I said before, get with Mike at 5star, his economy tune should keep you within the needed mpg range so you can still expense your fuel to your company.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sounds like it'd be a huge pain.
I'd say you'd be better off with the raptor and a super cheap old civic for long distance driving if you're worried about has $$

That's what I got. I have the raptor and a 92 Honda accord with a 5 speed. I get about 28 MPG. Bought it for $650 a few years ago. I got 188,*** miles on it now. Hell i even threw some mods on it to make it fun. Its got CAI, header, no cat, a coffee can muffler, I cut the springs to lower it and threw on some light weight motegi rims.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

studentdrivr

Reaction score
Funny,I was in the same boat a month ago.I finally pulled the trigger on a Candy Red FX4 ECO with everything but the kitchen sink. Why you ask....Ford rebates and deep dealer discounts. It was all about the money! Now, every time I get in it I wish I was climbing into a Raptor instead. I'm such an idiot !!!

bassassassin

Reaction score
The reason behind the wide swings in fuel economy is the 2x4 versus 4x4, gearing, options, the nut behind the wheel, and how the truck is used. IMHO many people drive much more agressively than they think, underestimate amount of weight in the vehicle, underestimate how much they tow, throw a big heavy fiberglass camper shell on a truck and wonder why their fuel mileage SUCKS! Be honest with yourself on how you will use the truck as to how big a tire do you really need; I know the factory tires on the eco are rather small but do you really need 35 or 37 inch tall tires on the truck all the time or can you go with a second set of larger more agressive tires to put on the truck when you really need them since using them on the highway at 25000 miles a year you will be replacing them every 12 to 18 months.

Last edited: