Trying to decide between FX4/Ecoboost and Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
V

//V

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

From what I've been reading, I'm somewhat optimistic that I might be able to average at least 15mpg on the highway if I keep a light foot. When I travel for work I just set the cruise control and sit back and listen to audiobooks. If I can manage at least 15mpg on the highway then it's pretty much a no-brainer, as I can buy a vehicle from a dealer that's essentially perfect for what I need. I don't care about mpg when I'm out "recreating".

The width I suppose might be a concern, but I would hope that the advantages of having a wider and more stable vehicle would outweigh any potential disadvantages. Sometimes deep ruts get cut in the snow on those roads, but I don't think it would stop me getting where I was going. Definitely don't care about any pinstriping, as my main concern is function. I truck bed lined my Audi and I'll probably end up Line-Xing whichever truck I end up with.

I really don't want to get into modifying a truck if I don't have to, especially if the end result is minimal overall gain in fuel economy.

The used 5.4 could be an option, but as everybody here knows, these things hold their value so well, I haven't seen a used 5.4 at an attractive enough price to make me want to go that route vs. buying new. Plus I'm looking for a truck with minimal options and those seem harder to come by.

Thanks again for the opinions, would love to hear what any others think.

OP
OP
V

//V

Reaction score
I'm trying to be rational about this, so I'm on the F150 forum too. It's funny though to read what people say over there about their FX4s. I was looking through the thread about lifted Ecoboosts. It's not looking so great for the Ecoboost's fuel economy with a lift and bigger tires. But the people are saying exactly the same thing people say here about Raptors. "If I cared about mpg, I wouldn't have lifted my truck"; "I don't care about mpg, my truck is badass and it turns heads!"; "I can afford the truck so I can afford the gas.". But I'm thinking, if the fuel economy goes down the tubes and you were expecting it, why not just get a Raptor to begin with? That's definitely what I'm leaning toward at this point. I'm not seeing many advantages to the Ecoboost once it's been modified to perform better off road.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My cousin and I just got our trucks within a week of each other. Him 2 weeks ago and I last week. He got a 2012 Platinum supercrew ecoboost and I got a 2012 Raptor supercab. I've been asking him about his gas mileage and he said his mixed driving of local and highway has been a hair over 11 MPG. He has a heavy foot, but still, for all the Ford advertisement, you'd expect better. I on the other hand, have been averaging around 13.5 mixed. Whenever I drive on highway, I average around 15.5MPG doing 70 MPH. Around town its around 12.5MPG. Not bad, I guess. I'm sure with more time and as the motors break in, they will get better gas mileage.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
The other thing with the Raptor is you're getting other features you're not getting with an FX4, Hill Descent, Off-Road Mode, front and rear locking diffs.

If you're going to lift the FX4 EB, you might as well go Raptor. Bone stock it'll do what you want it to do. It's such a capable truck at most everything that it'll surprise you.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, //V.

Seems like you're very logical in your thought process. In many ways the Raptor is not the most logical vehicle on the road, but ohhh man is it fun off road.

You mentioned that the mods you'd need/want to do on an FX4 would decrease the mileage... and Hockster made an excellent point about resale value compensating for mileage lost in a Raptor. If you want some further justification fuel, consider that installing an Economy Tune from 5star would further improve your highway mileage.

Get the Raptor. You won't find anyone on this forum who regrets the purchase... There are thousands of happy owners on here. Simply put, this truck is one bad mammajamma.

Not sure if you've seen this yet, but I figured I'd post a link to our "one and only gas mileage thread" for your reference. (the mileage thread is not all pretty, but this truck is worth it, and it sounds like it will meet or exceed your needs in every other department)

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/one-only-gas-mileage-thread-please-198/

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like bojangles said about the ecotune from 5 star makes a big difference. I have been playing with mine just to see what difference it makes. Going light footed on the highway I'm able to get up to about 17.5mpg, draft about 70-80 feet behind a bigrig and it goes to about 18.5. The eco tune is great but the performance tune is so much more fun.

I had a fx4 before my Raptor and have to say I'll never go back to a fx4. Don't get me wrong a fx4 is a great truck and very capable. It's just that the Raptor is THAT much better. Good luck in your decision.

Dave